By The Daily Targum

Recent Articles:

NEWS

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts

COMBATING ASSAULT: One in five women experiences sexual assault while in college. Rutgers is taking an active stand against it. The University will be working with the federal government to conduct surveys for a national task force to compile information on sexual assault across the country and develop ways to combat it.

NEWS

#NoRice deserves attention from Rutgers

On Monday, April 28, more than 50 students staged a sit-in at the office of University President Robert L. Barchi at Old Queens. Dozens more rallied outside to protest Condoleezza Rice’s invitation to speak at this year’s commencement, including the administration’s decision to award her with an honorary degree and $35,000 honorarium.

NEWS

NBA penalty appropriate for Sterling

The Clippers made headlines this week, but not because the team is finally in the playoffs. Donald Sterling, the team’s owner, made some disgustingly racist remarks to his girlfriend, V. Stiviano, at a game this past Sunday. He apparently had an issue with her hanging out with Magic Johnson, and he was recorded saying, “Don’t put him on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me.

NEWS

Affirmative action misses the point

The Supreme Court upheld a decision to ban affirmative action in Michigan’s public universities in a 6-2 ruling last week. The debate surrounding affirmative action is not a new one, and we’re not too surprised by the Court’s decision. But what are the implications of banning affirmative action in a society that is still far from one of racial, economic and social equality?

NEWS

‘Voluntourism’ makes us feel good

Ask people what their dream job would be, and almost every other person will probably say something along the lines of “traveling the world and helping people.” But how much of an emphasis do we place on “traveling the world” and how much on “helping people?” It’s usually more of a self-serving ambition to travel with the added bonus of helping people along the way (because, you know, anyone who doesn’t live in these United States of America is underprivileged and needs our help) for an additional feel-good boost to the experience.

NEWS

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts

UNCAPPED CAPITALISM: A recent Supreme Court case resulted in a ruling that now allows wealthy donors to spend an unlimited amount of money to support election candidates. In a system where so many of us already feel like our individual votes don’t make a difference, this is going to make it even more difficult for many people to have a voice — unless they’ve got lots of dough.

NEWS

Student fee increases: a necessary evil

The New Jersey budget process and hearing timeline stretches from October to July for the next fiscal year, which will become effective on July 1. As a state school, Rutgers receives federal funding and is a part of this process, and the Board of Governors is currently finalizing the University budget for the upcoming year.

NEWS

‘Palcohol’ shakes up drinking culture

Mark Phillips decided that there aren’t enough options already for people to get wasted, and so he decided to introduce a new product to the market: powdered alcohol. His company, Palcohol, actually received federal approval for the product earlier this month, but because of labeling issues, the approval was reversed for now. Palcohol plans to resubmit the product for approval once it fixes the labels and aims to have it on the shelves for sale by fall.

NEWS

Educate yourselves this Earth Day

Obviously, every day should be Earth Day, but today we have an opportunity to specifically raise awareness and educate ourselves about the environment — so why not take it? Regardless what you think about the causes and consequences of climate change, there’s no argument when it comes to the fact that we’re responsible for taking care of our environment. Even basic actions like properly recycling and managing waste are overlooked, and they do make a difference.

NEWS

FIFA can’t stop kicking people around

Since Qatar won the bid to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup a few years ago, 1,200 workers from India and Nepal have died working on construction projects for the event. Qatar is known for its appalling treatment of migrant workers — who make up 90 percent of the workforce — and as its construction business continues to expand with the momentum of the country’s economic growth, the issue is only worsening.

NEWS

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts

MARATHON WITH A MEANING: Students came together to run the fifth annual UNITE Half Marathon around Rutgers campuses last Sunday. The race partners with different charities every year, and it’s a great event to start off the spring season. The race this year fell around the anniversary of the Boston Marathon, so it was also an opportunity for us all to remember and commemorate the many lives affected by the tragedy.

NEWS

We are so fed up of going hungry

As full-time students with full-time jobs, our eating and sleeping habits are exactly as bad as you’d expect them to be. That’s what our culture assumes of us — we’re young, we’re busy, we are pretty irresponsible in general, so of course we would live off of pizza and instant noodles when we’re left on our own at college. And that’s just the problem.

NEWS

It’s high time to legalize marijuana

The times they are a-changin’, and most of New Jersey is now in favor of decriminalizing marijuana. We think it’s time for some serious policy action is taken to make the penalties for recreational use less severe. But before you roll your eyes and dismiss this as just so typical of a bunch of college kids at a liberal university, take a look at the statistics.

NEWS

Divestment is student activism at work

Rutgers has always had a strong culture of student activism, and the recent student-led, organized efforts to have the University divest from companies with unsafe working conditions in Bangladeshi factories is an excellent example. Rutgers will now require companies that are licensed to manufacture products with the University logo to sign the Accord on Fire and Building Safety.

NEWS

Rutgers should learn from Brandeis

With Rutgers University’s 248th commencement ceremony just weeks away, protests over having Condoleezza Rice as the commencement speaker are still going strong. The administration has made its stance on the issue very clear: In an email to the entire University, President Robert L. Barchi said despite the opposition, Rice will still be welcomed as the commencement speaker, given a $35,000 honorarium and presented with an honorary Doctor of Laws degree.

NEWS

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts

A+ for effort: As much as we love to hate WebReg, the University worked hard in trying to make it as smooth and fair as possible for us. For example, because of all the snow days earlier in the semester that affected many of our schedules, some students had midterm exams from 9:40 to 11:00 p.m. this week — which is why it was pushed to 11:30 p.m. instead of 10:30 p.m.

NEWS

We’re human beings, not liabilities

Frances Chan, a Plainsboro, N.J., native enrolled in Yale University, was threatened with suspension because the administration would not believe her 5-foot-two, 92-pound frame was healthy. Chan was forced to bring in old medical records to prove her natural body type is petite and needed to eat junk food to bring up her body weight — but nothing she did or said was enough to assuage the Yale officials who were convinced she had an eating disorder.

NEWS

AD situation overblown by media

In case you missed our take yesterday on the newest Julie Hermann debacle, here’s a quick recap: During a guest lecture in the class “Media Ethics and Law,” Hermann made some unnecessary comments about The Star-Ledger, implying that she wouldn’t mind if they went under as a company. A student recording the lecture named Simon Galperin, also happened to be the managing editor of Muckgers.com, an online student publication at Rutgers.

NEWS

Hermann makes headlines ... again

Rutgers’ latest press disaster is brought to you by the one and only Julie Hermann, who has been singlehandedly responsible for some of the worst coverage for our University since she became the new athletic director two years ago. Hermann was a guest lecturer at a Media Ethics and Law class a few weeks ago, where she felt it was appropriate to take the time to openly bash the Star-Ledger.

NEWS

Money and politics don’t mix well

The ideal of a true democracy is already so far removed from what it actually is in practice that it’s difficult for many to put aside their cynicism when we talk about politics. Corruption, manipulation and deceit are practically synonymous with anything political. While we encourage a more open-minded approach to the world of politics and the opportunities presents for those wanting to make a change, the recent Supreme Court ruling in “McCutcheon v. Federal Election Commission” to remove limits on individual contributions to political campaigns doesn’t exactly help.

More Articles

Recent Media:

The Science and Engineering Resource Center on Busch Campus is home to many classrooms for science and engineering classes. The research team's development of heating patches on clothes could help to reduce energy waste in such buildings. 
NEWS

heatingpatches.serin.dailytargum.JPG

Follow The Daily Targum on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and on dailytargum.com/news/dance_marathon for the latest on #RUDM2014.
NEWS

Follow us!

More Media