By Tyler Barto

Recent Articles:

Former Rutgers linebacker Khaseem Greene ended his senior campaign with 136 tackles, 12 for losses, six sacks and two picks.
NEWS

Greene benefits from position change

When Khaseem Greene found out he won the Big East’s Defensive Player of the Year for the second time in 2012, his first thought was if anyone had done so before. “I thought I’d be the first guy ever,” said Greene, who joins Virginia Tech’s Corey Moore with that distinction. “I think that’s not too bad.”

ESPN revealed a DVD?yesterday, which showcases head men’s basketball coach Mike Rice using homophobic language, hitting, kicking his players and throwing basketballs at them from point-blank range.
NEWS

Video exposes Rice’s abuse, gay slurs

A 30-minute DVD compiled by a former Rutgers men’s basketball assistant reveals repeated violations of program rules by head coach Mike Rice during a three-year period. Rice, in his third year with the program, is seen using a homophobic slur during practice, throwing basketballs at players and using physical force at point-blank range. Athletic Director Tim Pernetti, who hosted members of the media yesterday before appearing on ESPN’s Outside The Lines at 3 p.m., said Rice’s use of the word “faggot” was most damning.

NEWS

Flood’s subtle hints point to tweak in ‘O’ formula

From Head Coach Kyle Flood’s public engagements since the end of the 2012 season, few details have emerged about the look of the Rutgers football team’s offense under new offensive coordinator Ron Prince. But Flood has made one thing clear: it will revolve around game-changing plays. “The guys that start to emerge as the better playmakers, you’re going to start to see the offense move in their direction,” Flood said yesterday during his pre-spring practice press conference.

Khaseem Greene ran the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds yesterday at Pro Day.
NEWS

Greene thinks Pro Day aided his draft stock

Khaseem Greene could not resist running. Most expected the linebacker to sit out the 40-yard dash yesterday at the Rutgers football team’s pro day, but Greene pursued it anyway, running a 4.61, according to Rutgers Athletics Communications. “I just wanted to run,” Greene said inside the Rutgers Practice Bubble. “I’m a competitor. Plus, everybody runs faster at pro day.” Greene, arguably the Scarlet Knights’ best chance as a first-round pick in April’s NFL Draft, said he weighed in at 241 pounds yesterday.

Senior forward Austin Johnson and senior wing Dane Miller walk off the court at Madison Square Garden after Rutgers’ 69-61 loss, where Johnson had 18 points.
NEWS

Notre Dame forces RU out of tourney

NEW YORK — Sitting with his shoulders slumped at the postgame podium, Austin Johnson tried to make sense of the last 40 minutes. After averaging 5.3 points per game this season, the senior forward scored a career-high 18 points last night in the second round of the Big East Tournament. But despite Johnson’s late brilliance, he watched as the Rutgers men’s basketball team’s season ended as unexpectedly in a 69-61 loss to No. 24 Notre Dame.

Sophomore point guard Myles Mack attempts a shot against DePaul during last night’s 76-57 victory at Madison Square Garden. Rutgers will play Notre Dame tonight in the second round of the Big East Tournament.
NEWS

Twist of fate grants Rutgers another day

NEW YORK — One by one, they made their way into the cage. A freight elevator deep within the bowels of Madison Square Garden takes members of the Rutgers men’s basketball team down to floor level after each Big East Tournament game, closing with a loud thud each time. In most years, the walk from the Scarlet Knights’ locker room has ended in disappointment inside the gray-stained corridor.

Sophomore guard Myles Mack faces Seton Hall pressure. Mack scored a team-leading 15 points Friday to help break the Knights’ five-game losing streak.
NEWS

Late tie-up seals win in regular-season finale

NEWARK — As the clock ticked to fewer than 30 seconds and the Rutgers men’s basketball team clung to a three-point lead Friday, Myles Mack had seen this play out before. Not the Scarlet Knights’ inability to close out games, their 11 losses in 12 tries or another tightly contested matchup with in-state rival Seton Hall. Mack was used to wing Fuquan Edwin, the Pirates’ late-game playmaker. “I played with him a lot,” said Mack, a sophomore point guard. “I know he loves to go right. He jabbed me, and I knew he wasn’t going left.”

NEWS

Men's Basketball: Pirates offer Rice time to tinker roster

For a glimpse into the improvements that have occurred under head coach Mike Rice, look no further than Derrick Randall. The burly, 6-foot-8 sophomore forward arrived in 2011 with only a handful of basketball experience in high school to draw from. Randall was raw, could not handle the ball and never earned Rice’s trust. But when it mattered most Monday, Rice enlisted Randall’s help against 290-pound Davante Gardner, Marquette’s frontrunner for Big East Sixth Man of the Year.

Head coach Mike Rice looks on during last night’s 60-54 loss to Marquette at the RAC. Rutgers held a 10-point advantage at halftime, but were outscored 39-23 by the Golden Eagles in the second half.
NEWS

Late-game woes frustrate Rice

Locker to locker, Mike Rice slowly made his rounds. Fresh off a 60-54 loss to No. 15 Marquette, he whispered words of encouragement, slapped players on the back and made himself emotionally available. It is not usual postgame protocol for the Rutgers head men’s basketball coach — especially after he meets them immediately after the game — but these are not usual times. “I’ve talked about it before in press conferences: the inability to understand how to close games out,” said Rice, who was visibly shaken up after the game. “They’re close.”

Senior wing Dane Miller has been an asset, but his lack of consistent scoring and his pass-first mentality leaves his legacy uncertain.
NEWS

Senior plays at RAC for final time

No one knows where to find Dane Miller. The senior wing is supposed to speak to the media following a recent practice, but Miller is nowhere to be seen. He emerges from the locker room 10 minutes later, wearing a tight-fitting thermal long-sleeved shirt and jeans. Miller, once projected as the future of the Rutgers men’s basketball team, sits on the Louis Brown Athletic Center bleachers — avoiding eye contact.

Senior wing Dane Miller, right, attempts to defend Georgetown forward Otto Porter on Saturday in Rutgers’ 64-51 loss. Porter finished the game with 28 points.
NEWS

Porter hands loss to struggling Knights

WASHINGTON, D.C. — For all of his prowess — 28 points, eight rebounds, four steals and three blocks — Otto Porter’s loudest ovation came when he finally sat down. The Georgetown forward was so effective Saturday at the Verizon Center that his first break came with 23.2 seconds left, a 64-51 Hoyas victory well in hand. “I don’t know if anybody in this room could have predicted what he is right now,” said Rutgers head men’s basketball coach Mike Rice, whose team lost its 10th game in 11 tries.

Senior forward Dane Miller remains the best option to spell starters.
NEWS

Senior wing provides RU with options

Mike Rice walked to the podium Monday night at Villanova, where his two primary ball-handlers played 35 and 36 minutes each. The head coach of the Rutgers men’s basketball team has gotten used to these walks, having lost eight of his last nine games. But in his first procession without leading scorer Eli Carter — lost to a fractured fibula Feb. 16 — it forced Rice to reevaluate the Scarlet Knights’ ball-handling duties. Could senior wing Dane Miller figure into the equation?

Sophomore guard Myles Mack dribbles as Villanova guard Darrun Hilliard defends. Mack scored 24 points, but the absence of sophomore guard?Eli Carter made it easier for Villanova to stop Rutgers’ offense.
NEWS

’Nova exposes lack of scorers

VILLANOVA, Pa. — A curious thing happened on a crisp February evening at the Pavilion on the way to a rebound: Mike Rice urged Myles Mack, his transition-prone point guard, to slow down. The head coach spent most of the season urging his plodding offense to run, to create a quickened tempo at any cost. But the loss of Eli Carter, the Rutgers men’s basketball team’s leading scorer, to a fractured fibula Feb. 16 forced Rice to reevaluate his options.

Senior forward Dane Miller throws down a dunk during last night’s 57-55 win against Seton Hall at the RAC. Miller became the 39th player in school history to score 1,000 points in his career.
NEWS

RU ends six-game losing skid

All Dane Miller could do was hug Mike Poole after the scoreboard read 57-55 in favor of the Rutgers men’s basketball team, and no one could blame him. In a game they had to win, the Scarlet Knights held a double-digit lead last night for most of the second half. But that was before Seton Hall, following a 10-point run, peered up at the scoreboard and found itself trailing by one. “You’re trying to work yourself out of a rut here,” said head coach Mike Rice, whose team faced a potential seven-game losing streak.

Sophomore guard Jerome Seagears, center, looks to convert on a layup Saturday against Georgetown. The Knights’ backcourt will be responsible for providing offense against Seton Hall tonight with both teams struggling.
NEWS

Playoff fate depends on rivalry

Despite distancing himself from a 14-for-53 stretch and scoring 23 points for the first time since Jan. 5, Eli Carter could still only dwell on the Rutgers men’s basketball team’s six-game skid. The sophomore guard shot 8-for-18 Saturday against Georgetown, including a 7-for-12 spurt, but no other Scarlet Knights joined him in double figures. “I just wanted to come out and play well,” Carter said Saturday. “I just wanted to get a win, honestly. I wasn’t really thinking about myself.”

Sophomore guard Eli Carter drives against Georgetown forward Otto Porter, facing off as the respective leading scorers for their teams. Carter posted 23 points Saturday, but it was not enough in the Knights’ loss.
NEWS

RU collects sixth straight loss

Mike Rice said associate head coach David Cox knew No. 20 Georgetown’s play call Saturday following a 30-second timeout with 1:15 remaining. The Hoyas could likely say the same about the Rutgers men’s basketball team during the final 4:44, when the Scarlet Knights shot 1-for-10 and scored three points. The end result, a 69-63 loss, served as another unforgiving reminder from the Big East’s elite. “It’s part of the problem of the Big East,” said sophomore point guard Jerome Seagears.

Dorian Miller signed his National Letter of Intent yesterday with his family. 
NEWS

Miller sees success for ’13 recruits

METUCHEN, N.J. — As Dorian Miller posed for photographs after signing his National Letter of Intent yesterday, his father, Jeremy, confirmed what Rutgers football fans have hoped for. “Jersey’s keeping him home,” Jeremy Miller said. Dorian Miller always kept Rutgers close to home. He had no choice. “I always felt if I went away and Rutgers won a national championship, I would feel like the worst person in the world,” said Miller, who lives about 15 minutes from Piscataway.

NEWS

Five recruits enroll early for RU spring practice

Chris Laviano is as curious as everyone else. The former Holy Trinity (N.Y.) High School quarterback has more invested than most in the Rutgers football team’s new offensive coordinator, who has yet to be announced. But Laviano, one of five early enrollees from the Scarlet Knights’ 2013 recruiting class, has kept faith.

More Articles