By Tyler Karalewich

Recent Articles:

NEWS

Paterno statue disrepectful, inappropriate

If you look around the Rutgers-New Brunswick/Piscataway campuses, you are bound to stumble upon statues and sculptures that pay tribute to some of the great things people have done who are affiliated with the University. If you walk through Voorhees Mall, past the Van Dyke classroom building, it’s hard to miss the statue of William the Silent.

Junior wide receiver Leonte Carroo returns this season after leading Rutgers last year with nine touchdown receptions.
NEWS

Juniors aim to replace production lost at receiver

With the graduation of Quron Pratt and Brandon Coleman forgoing his last year of eligibility, the wide receiver position is one of a few in question for the Rutgers football team. Last season, Coleman and Pratt led the wideouts with 34 and 32 receptions, respectively. The Scarlet Knights lost over 1,000 yards from the duo and four touchdowns from Coleman.

Junior outfielder Joe D’Annunzio said Rutgers needs to work on all phases of the game and perform better in the field while they are hitting, base-running and plating the runners in scoring position.
NEWS

Rutgers faces top pitching staff

There seem to be as many disadvantages to playing 12 games in less than three weeks than there are benefits this season for the Rutgers baseball team. While the Scarlet Knights have procured the opportunity to start and pitch the multitude of freshman, or first-year pitchers, to gain valuable experience on the mound, they also have to face the fact that managing their pitching staff becomes more difficult.

Junior outfielder Joe D’Annunzio said the pitchers kept the game close and Rutgers was unable to support them offensively.
NEWS

All-around issues hinder Rutgers at Iona

For the Rutgers baseball team, the same issues arose yesterday that have been facing them all season. While the Scarlet Knights offense has produced time and time again, their pitching staff has been inconsistent. The Knights dropped the second game of their midweek series at Iona, 6-4, after beating the Gaels (4-13) on Tuesday, 7-5, at home.

Junior outfielder Joe D’Annunzio slides into third base after hitting a triple in the bottom of the eighth inning. D’Annunzio scored the vital seventh run for Rutgers.
NEWS

Pair of rookie pitchers ensure RU home win

There are a few things that can help a young pitching staff become more acclimated and make their job easier. For the Rutgers baseball team, several things have been stressed all year by head coach Joe Litterio in order to benefit the young pitching staff. Chief among the concerns from Litterio were amassing enough innings for the young pitchers.

Head coach Joe Litterio said Kevin Baxter helped preserve Rutgers’ bullpen.
NEWS

Rutgers hosts Iona following weekend split

Two midweek games were supposed to present a difficult challenge for the Rutgers baseball team. A pair of games back-to-back on the road against Columbia in New York City and Iona in New Rochelle, N.Y., was scheduled before the Scarlet Knights (9-13, 2-3) played 11 out of 12 games in Piscataway. 

Senior first baseman Brian O’Grady went 3-for-6 in two games and scored three runs in the series against UConn.
NEWS

Rookie earns first career win in relief following injury

Usually in baseball, a team will play nine innings and then call it a day.Occasionally, a team will play a doubleheader and might have to play back-to-back nine-inning games. The Rutgers baseball team was tasked Saturday in Storrs, Conn., with having to play 21 innings. Originally, the Scarlet Knights were supposed to play a normal series with a game on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but the game on Friday was postponed to resume on Saturday in the top of the seventh inning due to inclement weather.

Freshman infielder Christian Campbell had four hits, two runs and two RBI during the three-game series this past weekend against Louisville. Campbell said the Cardinals top pitchers prepared him for conference play.
NEWS

In-conference experience prepares Rutgers for Huskies

Going 1-2 against an opponent in a weekend series is usually seen as less than ideal for any team who wants to win more games than it loses.But for the Rutgers baseball team, dropping two of three against No. 7 Louisville last weekend was not the worst thing that could have happened to the team.

Senior 133-pounder Vinnie Dellefave lost the last two bouts of his career at the NCAA Championships. Dellefave leaves Rutgers after going 13-10 during his senior season, tallying an overall record of 58-37 for his career. Dellefave said he looks forward to life after wrestling.
NEWS

Dellefave reflects on successful career, life after wrestling

Facing the NCAA Championships tournament top-seed at 133 pounds last Thursday in Oklahoma City was not ideal for senior Vinnie Dellefave, nor was coming in as the last at-large bid qualifier. Dellefave was just happy to be in the competition, he said prior to the tournament. Whether it was an at-large or automatic qualification, it did not matter.

Freshman outfielder Mike Carter has played an integral role in Rutgers’ offensive production this season as the leadoff hitter. He is hitting .274 on the season and is tied for the team lead with 10 walks.
NEWS

Youth offers optimism at home

Aside from its connecting flight being unable to take off, forcing the Rutgers baseball team to take a bus from Louisville, Ky., back to New Brunswick, the spring break road trip was, for the most part, successful. The success started with youth on the mound earning opportunities to collect innings and give the coaching staff a better picture of the rotation and pitching staff.

Sophomore cornerback Nadir Barnwell said he enjoys playing in Joe Rossi’s defense because of the aggression they play with.
NEWS

Spring offers secondary shot to improve

What does a defense, whose secondary allowed a school record 4,056 passing yards this past season, do to improve entering the Big Ten?It aims to makes changes in the back four during spring practice. The Rutgers football team will use this time to improve a secondary that was widely inexperienced a season ago.

Head coach Scott Goodale embraces his first All-American, Anthony Perrotti.
NEWS

Podium spot relinquishes pressure moving forward

When facing the No. 7 team in the nation, having a 19-year-old make only his second career start is typically less than ideal. But that is just what the Rutgers baseball team (8-12, 1-2) did when closing out its spring break road trip Sunday against No. 7 Louisville (17-6, 2-1). The duties fell on freshman righthander Gaby Rosa.

NEWS

Rookie earns second-career win at No. 7

Anthony Perrotti celebrates being crowned an All-American after taking a 10-2 major decision against the sixth-seeded Nestor Taffur of Boston University. Perrotti is the first to reach the podium under head coach Scott Goodale.
NEWS

Perrotti returns All-American to Rutgers

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. — No one could have ever thought it was possible at the beginning of the season. It was the Rutgers wrestling team’s definitive goal at the launch of the year to have as many grapplers reach the podium as possible, but the All-American crown was probably thought to land on the head of a different Scarlet Knight.   

Sophomore Anthony Perrotti placed third at the EIWA Championships this past weekend at 157 pounds. Perrotti finished the season with an 18-12 record, which earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Championships with his finish at the conference tournament.
NEWS

Sophomore uses confidence as catalyst for podium aspirations

Way back at the beginning of the season, only one person could have truly believed that sophomore Anthony Perrotti would place in the top three at 157 pounds in the EIWA Championships. That same person might have been one of the only people to think Perrotti would qualify for the NCAA Championships towards the end of March.

Sophomore heavyweight Billy Smith was the runner-up this past weekend at 285 pounds at the EIWA Championships. Smith compiled a 25-6 (13-2) record entering the NCAA Championships next weekend. Smith went 3-1 during last weekend’s conference championships.
NEWS

The Road to the Podium Part I

After the first day of the 2014 EIWA Championships, the road to the NCAAs was paved with a No. 1 spot on the podium for sophomore heavyweight Billy Smith. After handily winning two bouts Saturday — gaining bonus points by a pin and a major decision — Smith eyed a successful second day. After running to the cooler full of drinks in the media room at The Palestra, exclaiming how excited he was to drink a soda, Smith expressed his confidence entering the second day.

Head coach Scott Goodale said the expectations for the four qualifiers is to reach the podium to be crowned All-Americans at the NCAA Championships next week.
NEWS

Rutgers hopes to end All-American slump

With the NCAA Championships set to begin a week from today, the Rutgers wrestling team will send four wrestlers to have a chance at becoming All-Americans. Prior to their performance at the EIWA Championships, arguably only sophomore heavyweight Billy Smith was thought to be a lock to qualify. Head coach Scott Goodale knew that good performances would be needed all around to make the season a success at the NCAAs.

Senior Vinnie Dellefave finished outside of the top three at the EIWA Championships at 133 pounds. The fourth-place finish meant that Dellefave needed an at-large bid for the NCAAs.
NEWS

Dellefave duplicates at-large selection for NCAAs

At the 2013 EIWA Championships held at the Louis Brown Athletic Center, Vinnie Dellefave drew the top seed at 133 pounds but was disappointed in finishing third, needing an at-large bid to qualify for the NCAA Championships. At this past weekend’s EIWA Championships, Dellefave started out with less recognition given to him than the year before, drawing a fourth seed at 133 pounds. 

Sophomore Ken Theobold placed third at the EIWA Championships this past weekend after going 4-1. Theobold has a 22-12 record entering the NCAA Championships next week. Theobold recorded two wins by fall during last weekend’s conference tournament.
NEWS

The Road to the Podium Part II

Things looked easy for sophomore Ken Theobold on the first day of competition at the EIWA Championships. The 149-pounder only wrestled for a little more than four and a half minutes on his way to the semifinals, following two first-round wins by fall. Following the easy first day, Theobold exclaimed how nice the facilities were inside the media room at The Palestra before offering how pleased he was with his performance on the first day. 

Freshman Tyson Dippery finished in sixth place and was on the outside of automatic qualification following the EIWAs. Dippery failed to receive an at-large bid at 141 pounds after finishing his season 24-14.
NEWS

Wildcard allocation snub ends freshman’s season

It is hard to guess where freshman Tyson Dippery envisioned himself at the beginning of the season. Dippery ended up losing his wrestle-off at 141 pounds and would have to wait for his opportunity to work his way into the starting lineup. Luckily for Dippery, it was a long season for the Rutgers wrestling team.

More Articles