By Vaishali Gauba

Recent Articles:

Julie Hermann, director of Rutgers Intercollegiate Athletics, angered many with uncouth comments she made in a “Media Ethics and Law” class as a guest speaker.
NEWS

Rutgers faculty, students respond to Julie Hermann's comment

Rutgers’ “Media Ethics and Law” class occasionally sees guest speakers who shed light on the concept of journalistic ethics to educate students about the principles of journalistic integrity. One such speaker made students question this concept. On Feb. 27, Julie Hermann, director of Rutgers Intercollegiate Athletics, spoke in a section of “Media Ethics and Law” taught by Bruce Reynolds, a part-time lecturer in the School of Communication and Information.

Samuel Clark, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, aims to integrate more student groups into RUSA.
NEWS

Clark favors inclusiveness

Samuel Clark sees the Rutgers University Student Assembly as a means to bridge the gap between Rutgers administration and students. The School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in political science and history is running for RUSA president this year. Clark, who has been involved with RUSA since his first year at Rutgers, became the student affairs chair of RUSA as a sophomore.

NEWS

Authorities charge New Brunswick man for Billy McCaw's murder

The investigation of Billy McCaw’s Feb. 15 murder has led authorities to a New Brunswick resident, who was charged yesterday with beating the 22-year-old former Rutgers student to death. Timothy Puskas, 38, who lived on Plum Street, was already in custody at the Middlesex County Adult Corrections Center in North Brunswick for an unrelated case since March 21, according to a press release from Andrew C. Carey, Middlesex County Acting Prosecutor and Anthony A. Caputo, director of the New Brunswick Police Department.

NEWS

Katzenbach bus stop relocated after accident

After a Rutgers student was hit by a car near the Katzenbach bus stop on Douglass campus Saturday night, the Rutgers Department of Transportation Services implemented the move to shift the bus stop 90 feet away from its original location towards the crosswalk. As of noon yesterday, the old bus stop has been covered with yellow tape and a snow fence across the front lawn of the old bus stop.

NEWS

Faculty urges BOG to rescind Condoleezza Rice as speaker

The Rutgers University-New Brunswick Faculty Council voted on a resolution to rescind Condoleezza Rice’s invitation to deliver the keynote address at this year’s commencement ceremony on Friday, Feb. 28. The council has urged the Board of Governors to reconsider the decision they made on Feb. 4, citing Rice’s war record.

A mental health survey completed by 135 University students covered issues such as excessive stress and depression.
NEWS

Student survey reveals 45 percent feel stressed

In an attempt to end his life, a Princeton University first-year student ingested 20 pills in his room. A few days after in February 2012, he was asked by university officials to voluntarily withdraw from the school. The student, who was evicted from the school with no refund, was told he would have to leave once he missed about three weeks of classes, said Lewis Bossing, senior attorney at Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law, in an nj.com article.

More than 100 friends, family members and students attended Billy McCaw’s vigil yesterday on the steps of Brower Commons on the College Avenue campus.
NEWS

McCaw honored at candlelight vigil

Holding lit candles in the air, more than 100 people from the Rutgers community and beyond chanted, “Let’s go,” a phrase former Rutgers student Billy McCaw would frequently say. Students, family and friends gathered last night in remembrance of 22-year-old McCaw, who was found beaten to death Saturday morning in the backyard of a house on Hartwell Street.

NEWS

Gas pipeline ruptures under Raritan River

Gas around the Northeast Corridor rail bridge was shut off after a gas pipeline owned by PSE&G ruptured Friday under the Raritan River, causing the eruption of two natural gas geysers, said Kristine Lloyd, a spokesperson for PSE&G. Along with PSE&G, the New Brunswick Police Department and the New Brunswick Fire Department were present on the scene, Lloyd said.

NEWS

U. professorial candidate accused of sexual assault

Professor Peter Ludlow, who allegedly sexually assaulted a Northwestern University junior in February 2012, is a candidate for a position at Rutgers.The plaintiff filed a lawsuit against Northwestern University on Monday after the University failed to act on her complaint against Ludlow, the campus newspaper reported.

NEWS

Valentine’s Day survey reveals U. perceptions

“A hot date with Ben and Jerry” was one among the many plans for Valentine’s Day that students listed in The Daily Targum Valentine’s Day survey. Comprising of approximately 230 undergraduate students’ responses, the survey aimed to get a better understanding of students’ perspectives on relationships and dating in college.

The Office of Student Involvement organized “Random Acts of
Changemaking” yesterday on the College Avenue campus. Student organizations handed out free gifts to students throughout the afternoon.
NEWS

U. groups inspire change on campus

Receiving a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a note that reads, “you live only once, if you do it right,” is not what students might experience everyday, said Saad Shamshair, a School of Arts and Sciences junior. Rutgers Circle K spent yesterday handing out 108 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to students on the College Avenue campus as a part of Rutgers University Students Life’s event, Random Acts of Changemaking.

NEWS

Center to look at resiliency in coastal areas

Patricia Hershey evacuated her house with her daughter and seven dogs and found refuge at a firehouse when Hurricane Sandy struck the New Jersey coastline in October 2012. Hershey, a Seaside Heights resident, also experienced the destruction of her two businesses. Despite of her loss, Hershey and her friends, Carol Kane and Melissa Nick, wanted to use the experience to the benefit of the community.

Ian Wolf, public relations chair of the Rutgers University Student Assembly and a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore, asks a question at the RUSA meeting yesterday.
NEWS

Diversity office head outlines strategy

When Jorge Schement went to a conference hosted by the Big Ten last fall, he sat with officials from other universities and told them he was keen to learn from them. They replied, “We thought you came to teach us.” Schement, vice president for Institutional Diversity and Inclusion at Rutgers, realized at that moment that the fellow participants of the conference meant teaching about Rutgers’ diversity.

NEWS

Study abroad offers summer opportunities

A day on the beach is not Stan Piotrowski’s idea of a fulfilling summer, so he took to the ocean. Last year, from June 29 to July 16, Piotrowski spent his time in the Cayman Islands conducting surveys on marine species while scuba diving. Piotrowski, a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences junior, worked with students and renowned scientists from across the globe during his study abroad program.

NEWS

Fresh Grocer to no longer remain open 24 hours

Much to the disappointment of New Brunswick residents and Rutgers students, the Fresh Grocer no longer plans to be open 24 hours. The supermarket that remained open 24 hours even on holidays, for more than a year, plans to now be open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., according to a New Brunswick Today article.

The Delta Phi fraternity collaborated with Phi Sigma Sigma to create a Blackout shirt fundraiser for the fall 2012 football game that raised $37,000 by 2013.
NEWS

Student creates shirts for $37,000 fundraiser

Kyle Fardelmann recalls sitting in his class in the Rutgers Business School in 2012, speculating whether he should call the University’s Office of Trademark Licensing about a potential idea. Little did he realize that his idea could prove worthwhile for many lives. Fardelmann, a Rutgers graduate, observed in his first year at Rutgers that PepsiCo Inc. supplied t-shirts for the annual Blackout game on campus.

More Articles