Lidia De Los Santos

Recent Articles:

NEWS

Organizations sprint for annual bed races

Last night, Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles, prisoners and pirates sprinted down College Avenue — all in the name of Scarlet spirit. To kick off Homecoming weekend, the Rutgers University Programming Association and the Rutgers University Alumni Association sponsored the seventh annual “Homecoming Charity Bed Races.”

Protestor Jeff Hulbert of Annapolis, Maryland holds a sign as he demonstrates in favor of a travel ban to stop the spread of the Ebola virus, in front of the White House in Washington October 16, 2014.  REUTERS/Jim Bourg
NEWS

Experts share concerns about Ebola in NJ

From a cough on the bus to a sniffle in the student center, fear of the Ebola virus making its way to Rutgers. A case of Ebola has not yet been confirmed in New Jersey, but New Jerseyans have expressed concerns about an outbreak in the state. Sixty nine percent of New Jersey residents are concerned about the possibility of an outbreak in the US, according to a Rutgers-Eagleton Institute of Politics poll released on Oct. 8. 

NEWS

Rutgers celebrates 150th year as land-grant institution

The work of two Rutgers professors to grant the University a special status 150 years ago still reverberates in the structure and focus of the University, said Thomas Frusciano, the University’s historian. The New Jersey Legislature honored Rutgers two weeks ago on the 150th anniversary of its designation as the state’s land-grant institution. Land-grant universities are institutions of higher education in the United States designated by their respective state to receive benefits of the Morrill Acts.

Courtesy of Dena Seidel | Jean Paul Isaacs, a Rutgers graduate and film student, shoots a film in Zambia, Africa. Mason Gross School of the Arts will be offering the digital filmmaking major starting fall of 2015.
NEWS

Rutgers launches digital filmmaking major

In her eight years of teaching, Dena Seidel has had many students approach her asking why Rutgers does not offer a filmmaking degree. Now, students interested in following a career path in filmmaking finally have the chance to receive a bachelor of fine arts degree in digital filmmaking beginning in the 2015 fall semester. 

The above photograph of the NJ State Theater, taken by Angel Escalante, won second place in New Brunswick Free Public Library’s Seventh Annual Photography Contest. Escalante says the photo intends to use lines and detail to bring out the city lights.
NEWS

Residents depict New Brunswick in annual photography contest

Forty-five year old Angel Escalante saw New Brunswick Free Public Library’s Seventh Annual Photography Contest as an outlet to develop a new hobby and get something from it, he said. This year’s contest saw more than 90 entries, including one from Escalante, a former leukemia patient, who received second place in the contest’s adult category.

NEWS

Organization strives for welfare of stray animals

Stray cats are a growing population in New Brunswick that not many are aware of. An organization at Rutgers aims to raise awareness for stray animals and calls on animal lovers to contribute to their cause by doing the same. Sammy’s Hope at Rutgers is a branch of the larger nonprofit organization Edison Animal Shelter in Edison, New Jersey. Sammy’s Hope is named after a pit bull-boxer mix at the shelter, Samson, who exhibited all of the qualities of “misunderstood dogs,” according to their website.

Using 15th to 17th century instruments such as English recorders, musicians attempt to replicate the sound of an early English protest song.
NEWS

Historians, musicians recreate early English political songs

Using English recorders, bagpipes, a guitar and the lute, musicians produce a sound that would resemble English music from the 17th century. At an event, entitled “The Early History of the Protest Song: Libels, Ballads and Politics in Seventeenth Century England,” a mixture of historians and musicians spoke about and recreated early English political songs to recapture the political meanings and the musical sounds of the early modern English protest song.

Members of the Rutgers chapter of She’s the First make magazine beads using shredded magazine pages and decoupage at their first Fall 2013 meeting.
NEWS

Rutgers She’s the First chapter strives to empower girls

Less than two years ago, the Taliban shot then-14-year-old Pakistani girl Malala Yousafzai in the face for promoting girls’ education. Today, Cierra Kaler-Jones is fighting for the same cause by introducing a Rutgers chapter of She’s the First on campus. She’s the First is a non-profit organization that sponsors girls’ education in developing nations so they can be the first in their families to graduate from secondary school.

More Articles