Th Daily Targum

Recent Articles:

OPINION

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | February 1, 2019

Rutgers’ men’s basketball team broke a number of program records on Wednesday night when it triumphed over Indiana, moving up to eighth place in the Big Ten rankings. It is safe to say the Scarlet Knights played impressive basketball, at one point scoring 22 unanswered points, and are beginning to show off the future of the program. We laurel the men’s basketball team for their recent impressive push upward.  

OPINION

EDITORIAL: NJ has appalling disparity in death

In both life and death, American society is desperately disparate. There are multiple factors that drive inequality, but the inescapable crux is that those who live ensnared by a society that impairs, injures and undermines will also drown in that same disparity. The guarantee of an inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is hollowed by its unequal distribution as Black women and babies are dying at an alarmingly harrowing rate. 

OPINION

EDITORIAL: Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy continues

We must bear witness to the hollowing of his prophetic words of liberation. The regressive sanitation of his messages emerge in the speech of those whose actions diminish the progress of the past and obstruct change today. The legacy of Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. has been distorted to further antithesis goals of hate, injustice and inequality.

OPINION

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | December 7, 2018

ADDRESSING OPIOIDS In order to address the growing opioid epidemic that is wreaking havoc across New Jersey and the nation, the researchers in Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) will be forming a new series of workshops to address the problem. The opioid epidemic kills approximately 3,000 people in New Jersey every year, according to Rutgers Today. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released statistics that said drug overdoses reached a new high in 2017, killing more than 70,000 Americans nationwide, according to the article. The state and the U.S. are dealing with a public health crisis, and we laurel RBHS for taking a role in addressing the epidemic. 

OPINION

EDITORIAL: Segregation continues its hold on NJ

Born in this nation of promise and progress, civic and political power are inalienable birthrights that require provision and nurturing. Yet they are placed in the hands of some and beyond reach for others. Institutions of learning are designed to be the grand guardians of democracy, wielding education as a great leveler of inequities. They function as ladders descending down to those born into circumstances beyond their control, ready for their ascension. 

OPINION

EDITORIAL: NJ shifts to better protect, serve all

Unauthorized immigration in to the United States peaked in 2007. A decade ago, the total number of unauthorized immigrants hit its precipice and then declined, continuing to fall for the next 10 years. The drop in illegal immigration to the lowest level it has been since 2004 is connected to the large decrease of 1.5 million people in the number of Mexican unauthorized immigrants from 2007 to 2016, according to the Pew Research Center.

OPINION

EDITORIAL: Sexual assault is prevalent in public roles

In the past few months Americans have been forced to recognize the fact that sexual harassment and assault are significantly more prevalent than previously acknowledged. A slew of beloved public figures have been ousted as having committed unwanted sexual acts, some of whom admit truth to the accusations and apologize and others who fail to do so. As a result of this, our society has been confronted with the uncomfortable fact that sexual assault and harassment are normal, everyday occurrences. 

OPINION

EDITORIAL: Tax bill may harm access to education

President Donald J. Trump and the Republican Party have officially reeled in their first win — the hasty and flippant passing of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. While the bill largely espouses tax cuts to the immensely wealthy, it seems to many to be a blatant assault on the accessibility of higher education. 

More Articles

Recent Media:

Sophomore Izaiah Brown has the second-fastest 400-meter time in the nation heading into the NCAA Championships this weekend.
SPORTS

Participants in the "Day Without a Woman: Walk-out to Teach-in" at Rutgers formed groups at Voorhees Hall to discuss issues ranging from reproductive rights to wage equality. The event was part of International Women's Day.
NEWS

The Meteorology club noted more difficulty plowing snow on highly populated campuses like College Avenue.
NEWS

More Media