Knights deliver strong showing in Brown Invite

The Rutgers tennis team put together a strong showing over the weekend at the prestigious Brown Invitational Tournament in Providence, R.I.

The Scarlet Knights racked up a total of 14 wins in three days against the likes of Auburn, Boston College, Boston University and host Brown.

"I think we did great playing against top teams who were all ranked either nationally or regionally last year," said head coach Ben Bucca. "We're very pleased and energized by our performance and hope it can carry over into next week."

Standout performances included the top doubles tandem of junior Amy Zhang and sophomore Jennifer Holzberg, which won two of its three matches. The performance included a resounding victory over host school Brown's doubles team by a score of 8-4.

"This tournament was our first real competition so it was great practice for us," Zhang said. "I had a lot of close matches which showed I'm right in there. Everyone played really smart out there."

Rutgers single players also had a productive weekend.

Junior Maryana Milchutsky, sophomore Michelle Green and freshman Vanessa Petrini all captured two victories apiece.

The Knights return to action Oct. 9-11 against 15 other teams at the National Tennis Center in New York City — the site of the US Open.

"We're very excited for the opportunity to play in one of the best outdoor venues in the world in one of the greatest cities in the world," Bucca said.