Students, treat city with some respect

Letter

Every morning I drive my daughter to her school across town. This gives me the opportunity to view many of the different neighborhoods of the city. The most obvious neighborhood I pass through is the “college town” area. I know I am there when suddenly I see red Solo cups strewn about the streets and lawns. I know I am there when I see piles of flattened boxes from cases of beer in untied heaps — I’m sure the pile was high until the rain drenched the boxes and the wind made the boxes move further and further out, lowering and widening the pile. I know I am there when I pass an empty lot that has been filled with red Solo cups, fat sandwich wrappers and everything else that the drunken, careless college students cannot seem to find a trash can for.

I call this city home. It’s not my party spot or my vacation away from mommy and daddy. I live here with my husband and daughter, as do many other people. Some New Brunswick residents have the huge misfortune of living in houses near students, and I do not envy them. They are raising their children amid the chaos. Their children have to witness the actions of drunken, often underage college students make fools of themselves by night, and by day they witness the wreckage that the animalistic behavior leaves behind. What sort of example is this setting? What have your parents taught you in your life regarding respect? And have the stereotypical liberals of academia taught you nothing in regards to human impact on the environment?

I know you are all excited about your newfound freedom, but I have news for you: Freedom does not mean that you get to do whatever you want — no matter the cost — with no consequences. You come into this city to receive an education. You live here — treat it like you would your own home. Value it, respect it and love it. Don’t tarnish it with your ignorant behavior and your trash. It is unfortunate that I have to long for winter and summer breaks, when the city shines a little brighter without all the trash in its streets.

For more information on city policies regarding trash and recycling, please visit the city’s official website at www.cityofnewbrunswick.org.

Molly Larobina is a Mason Gross School of the Arts alumna, Class of 2008.