New?RUcore policy opens online repository

Editorial

According to the recently passed University Senate policy known as “Open Access”, faculty and scholars will be required to share all of their work in the University libraries’ online repository called RUcore. While RUcore has served the student body for years, this new development is one literary reform, amongst a few others, that will expand the system into a more effective, more efficient environment for libraries campus wide.

The e-system upgrades will build upon an already-expensive information pool. A 2011 report revealed that over $6 million of library collection expenditures fund system-wide electronic resources. Book digitalization serves as an archive for texts, images, audio, video and more. More importantly, it doubles as a preservative. Paper falls apart, film deteriorates, but the Internet is scarily stable.

Constantly travelling from class to class, students may find it difficult to stop by a library in limited time slots.  In addition, trying to make two different fixed schedules coincide — between both students and the libraries — can be tricky. So a lack of extended library hours can be compensated for through the addition of RUcore, which can serve as a 24-hour private reading room. Bringing our documents and research into the neighborhood of our social networks, calendars and notes is a modern incentive. The way of the future blurs the boundary between school and home, and this software is yet another component to our generation’s eCollege motivation.

Faculty members have already shown interest in sharing their personal research journals online and University President Robert L. Barchi has thrown his support behind the policy.

One of the only foreseeable problems is the University’s size versus its reach. It is unlikely that every student will immediately pick up the system, nor use it to his or her ultimate benefit. This level of literature will not be light. Practice must make perfect.

For more up-to-date, timely, reliable resources, students will undoubtedly praise the system when they don’t want to get up to go to the library, spend money on unnecessary information to weed out the necessary information, nor leave campus. Everything we want will be right at our fingertips, as usual.