U. hosts first award ceremony for NROTC midshipmen

<p>The Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps held its first awards ceremony yesterday at Kirkpatrick Chapel on the College Avenue campus.</p>

The Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps held its first awards ceremony yesterday at Kirkpatrick Chapel on the College Avenue campus.

The Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps held its first awards ceremony yesterday at Kirkpatrick Chapel, marking the end of NROTC’s inaugural year at the University.

At the ceremony, the first-ever class of NROTC midshipmen were honored for their perseverance and commitment.

The midshipmen stood at attention while Capt. Phillip Roos, the commanding officer of the Rutgers NROTC, gave a historical account of the NROTC and how it came to the University. All of the midshipmen were congratulated for completing their first year of training.

Two of the midshipmen were singled out for exceptionally commendable achievements.

Barbara Pallister, the registrar of the Jersey Blue chapter of the Daughters of the Revolution, awarded one of the midshipmen a certificate for being an outstanding underclassman.

“We’ve been in business for a year,” Roos said. “This is the first academic year that the midshipmen have been a part of the program.”

The ceremony will eventually serve as a celebration for graduating members of the NROTC before they begin their active duty in the Navy.

He said the midshipmen received awards for academic excellence as well as attitude both in class and in training.

Roos could not stress enough how grateful the program is toward the University and the community for their support.

“Everything from admissions, to athletics, to the registrar, to scheduling, the university has opened their doors,” Roos said.

Although he enjoyed this year’s training, several challenges arose in introducing NROTC to the University.

“It’s been a challenge, too, because I’ve got a staff of operators and they all came in from the [Navy fleet] operations staff, and I brought in just freshmen,” Roos said. “Typically, you’ve got a little bit of turnover amongst the staff, so someone’s got some experience there.”

Myisha Bryan, a School of Arts and Sciences first-year student, is the NROTC’s only current Battalion Commander. She joined to make a difference and help people grow.

“The ceremony today is pretty much to reward the midshipmen,” Bryan said. “Well … all the midshipmen have been doing an outstanding job, but just to award a few midshipmen on the jobs that they have been doing,”