Apple makes big improvements

Editorial | New iPhone 5c and 5s models exquisite but expensive

Apple did something Tuesday that we’re sure totally surprised the masses: it revealed two new iPhone models.

The company revealed the iPhone 5c and 5s, each with unique features that definitely improve upon the current iPhone 5. As an office of unapologetic Apple enthusiasts, we are very excited to throw our consumerist support and excitement behind the new products — but they might not completely satisfy their purpose.

Among the obvious appeal of the iPhone 5c is its colorful options. The plastic body of the phone makes it more durable and more interchangeable. The model was created with the intention of offering a more economic option without sacrificing the signature quality of Apple technology. The 5c can be highly appealing to younger consumers, especially — cough, cough — college students on a budget.

The iPhone 5s, on the other hand, takes things to the total opposite end of the spectrum. Apple literally planned on creating the 5s to be the best smartphone in the world. It comes in silver, gold, or black, with a metal body and a plethora of new features. One such feature is fingerprint verification in the home button, which would unlock the phone and automatically fill in the password for an individual’s Apple ID login.

Increasing its competition with other smartphone camera features, the new iPhone 5s lens has an f/2.2 aperture, even better than the iPhone 5’s f/2.4. On top of a better lens, the phone comes with new apps that allows video to be taken in slow motion and pictures in burst effect, which would quickly take several snaps of the same picture, and, with autofocus matrix metering, can automatically choose the best one.

The iPhone 5c comes at a wildly affordable contract price of $99, and the iPhone 5s comes to $199. However, when it comes to the retail price of the phones without plans, the 5c hikes up to a staggering $549 — the 5s to $649.

Since the 5c was supposed to be an affordable alternative to the iPhone 5 — especially in developing economies like China and India — the retail price of it is shocking. Other countries are also expected to pay higher for an unlocked phone, and then throw in import taxes that effectively render the new iPhone unaffordable.

Honestly, it doesn’t seem like Apple really cares about affordability, even when it means becoming more competitive in foreign markets. Apple’s expensive status is one of its global trademarks, propelling it to being a mark of social status. Though that doesn’t stop Apple from continuing to market certain products — such as its new 5c — as being more affordable, despite the disappointing price.

Plus, it’s no surprise that many consumers wait for the new iPhone to drop so they can get the older model at an extremely reduced price. Clearly, price is still a primary concern for many Apple users. Despite brand loyalty and their admiration of the company’s technology, economic issues still become an impediment.

At the end of the day, Apple will still be Apple. Its brand will still be a lifestyle titan, its products will still — hopefully — be user-friendly and incomparably intuitive and it will, for now, continue to be an essential part of our entire editorial office. The company could definitely improve on its expensive pricing — but, with what it’s offering, it might just be worth it.