WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts

Laurels and Darts

MACARTHUR MASTERS

We are so incredibly proud to be able to say that four Rutgers folks, including a public health historian, a guest instructor and two alumni, have received distinguished MacArthur awards. Known as the “genius grant,” the award “celebrates and inspires the creative potential of individuals,” and comes with an unrestricted $625,000 stipend. This laurel goes to the best and brightest.

BOOS BLUES

We have another dart to throw about last weekend’s game against SEC rival Arkansas — the mass exodus of students halfway through the game. Yeah, we get it that it started at 3:30 p.m., and all the exhaust from pregaming was excuse enough to leave while we were down, but how about we schedule our day-drinking better? Low energy, and especially low morale, is not the Scarlet way to do it. The least we can do is show our football players some support.

ANTI-FRACKING FAVOR

Who says activism is pointless? The New Brunswick City Council is going to meet over an ordinance to ban fracking. The practice, which has been demonstrated to be extremely damaging to the environment, has been a disputed issue on university campuses across the country. Just last week, anti-fracking activists protested the College Avenue groundbreaking ceremony. This laurel proves that persistence breeds success.   

SCARRED SPIRIT

We wrote about being in favor of the gender-neutral alma mater change earlier this week, but we never got a chance to dart the student body for booing the Glee Club when they sang the new version. The revised alma mater made its debut at the Arkansas game last weekend, and Rutgers students apparently thought it was appropriate to boo their fellow Knights in disagreement. When we’re at a game, we’re all on the same team. Shame!

ROYAL RENOVATIONS

Tillett underwent some serious renovations this year — finally. Previously known for its bad reputation as a shoddy building and tasteless dining hall, Tillett has been given a multi-million dollar makeover with smart classrooms, new bathrooms and more. It’s becoming a building that we’re excited to use. Here’s a laurel for finally reaching university standards.

NEGLECTED NATURE

Doesn’t anyone care about trees anymore? Apparently, the Rutgers administration sure doesn’t. The lack of funding for the health of our trees, which are apparently suffering from Dutch elm disease and bacterial leaf scorch, is leaving them untreated and dying. Taking care of our environment should be a given. If that doesn’t persuade the administration enough, then a stump-littered campus should do the trick. This dart goes to neglecting our oxygen-producing friends.