Caitlyn Kovacs dies from alcohol poisoning

Caitlyn Kovacs, a 19-year-old School of Environmental and Biological Sciences sophomore with dreams of opening an animal daycare business, died on Sept. 21 after a “small gathering” at the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity house.

Kovacs died of “acute ethanol toxicity,” otherwise known as alcohol poisoning, according to a press release from the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.

Kovacs’ friends transported her to the hospital around 3 a.m., where she was reportedly “in distress,” according to The Daily Targum. The police were called to investigate her death at 3:28 a.m. after being alerted by hospital staff.

Kovacs’ friends and family held a memorial for her on Oct. 11 in the Busch Student Center, where hundreds of people packed into a room to commemorate Kovacs’ life.

Kovacs, a “bubbly” animal science major, was also a sushi lover and friend you could count on, said best friend and School of Arts and Sciences sophomore Tammy Mehman.

“She was a friend that I knew cared about me, I could put all my trust in her, I knew I could count on her always,” Mehman said.