2 Rutgers students stabbed on Halloweekend

– Photo by Dimitri Rodriguez

Daniel Leandry, a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences first-year student, was charged with attempted murder, two counts of aggravated assault with a weapon and possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose in relation to the stabbing that took place at Mettler Hall on the College Avenue campus on Oct. 30.

At about 6:30 p.m., the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) responded to a 911 call detailing the stabbing. Leandry was found in his room in Mettler Hall, and was subsequently taken into custody.

RUPD released an alert over the Emergency Notification System notifying students of the threat and advising them to seek out a secure location. Another alert was released shortly before 7 p.m., stating that the suspect was in custody.

Leandry’s bail has been set for $735,000. He is now being held at Middlesex County Jail in North Brunswick.

Students recounted their version of events.

"I saw them sitting on a couch, and they seemed pretty casual,” Mikaela Dixon, a School of Arts and Sciences first-year student, told ABC. “Then, all of a sudden they got up and started yelling at each other, and it was like a big fighting match and they were, it started to get physical and then yeah, it was like a knife fight."

At this time the two victims’ names remain unreleased, though authorities have confirmed that one of the victims is affiliated with the University.

Both victims were in a stable condition following the stabbings, according to NJ.com.

Elijah Reiss, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, said he witnessed two men leaving the residence hall covered in blood in the aftermath of the attack.

“As my roommate and I walked away, people asked what was up, and I would say someone was stabbed," Reiss said. "The look on their faces said it all. To think this could happen on our campus, let alone the safest space of our quad, was unimaginable."