HORU August 6, 2016

false

<p>“I’m working down in Trenton right now at the Chamber of Commerce and I help in government affairs, which is their lobbying section. When you’re working in government, you see the entire process. And while there are some good aspects of it, how lobbying groups show that citizens care and that they’re trying to get their voice to their representatives, you also get this insatiable need to win every battle. And I think a lot of it comes down to greed, and people wanting more for themselves. The legislators want to get their legislation through, the lobby groups want their interests represented, the workers that are getting contracted out through government agencies want more money, more benefits, and people who are representing different constituents want different things too. So it’s a little disheartening, because you will see something so good just get lost in issues that really don’t have any reason to be there. But greed can easily come from someone who’s trying to do the right thing too. The troubling thing about trying to do the right thing in government is that people will capitalize on your want to get something done. Once they know that you want something done, the whole process becomes transactional. ‘What are you willing to give to get your idea accomplished?’ is the question everyone is faced with in government because everyone else is blocking your way with their hand out. And some people will breach ethics to get what they want because in their eyes they see it as more utilitarian. Humans are fallible. And I think it’s better to look at it as having temporarily clouded judgement. At least that’s what’s made me feel a little better about working in government.”</p>

“I’m working down in Trenton right now at the Chamber of Commerce and I help in government affairs, which is their lobbying section. When you’re working in government, you see the entire process. And while there are some good aspects of it, how lobbying groups show that citizens care and that they’re trying to get their voice to their representatives, you also get this insatiable need to win every battle. And I think a lot of it comes down to greed, and people wanting more for themselves. The legislators want to get their legislation through, the lobby groups want their interests represented, the workers that are getting contracted out through government agencies want more money, more benefits, and people who are representing different constituents want different things too. So it’s a little disheartening, because you will see something so good just get lost in issues that really don’t have any reason to be there. But greed can easily come from someone who’s trying to do the right thing too. The troubling thing about trying to do the right thing in government is that people will capitalize on your want to get something done. Once they know that you want something done, the whole process becomes transactional. ‘What are you willing to give to get your idea accomplished?’ is the question everyone is faced with in government because everyone else is blocking your way with their hand out. And some people will breach ethics to get what they want because in their eyes they see it as more utilitarian. Humans are fallible. And I think it’s better to look at it as having temporarily clouded judgement. At least that’s what’s made me feel a little better about working in government.”