Try our new website

HORU February 1, 2017

<p>(1/2) “I grew up on the constitution. I grew up believing and fighting for the American Dream. But this presidency and this national rhetoric has constantly made me question whether I’m American enough. And I don’t think that anyone should ever have to ask themselves that question. What else can I do to prove to other people that I’m American? Just being here and believing in civil liberties and the best for people; that’s what being American is about. Coming out to protest, expressing my freedom of speech and my freedom of religion; that’s what America is all about.</p><p>Now is the time to define what it means to be a Muslim American, and to own that label instead of letting it be such a negative. It’s something that we can definitely revolutionize and make positive, and I’ve seen that in the last week with the amazing amount of support around the country. I think it has made people more aware of who Muslim Americans are. It has put people in contact with Muslim Americans when they may not have been in contact with them before. And it’s created an allyship that I don't think existed before, which is really, really important.”</p>

(1/2) “I grew up on the constitution. I grew up believing and fighting for the American Dream. But this presidency and this national rhetoric has constantly made me question whether I’m American enough. And I don’t think that anyone should ever have to ask themselves that question. What else can I do to prove to other people that I’m American? Just being here and believing in civil liberties and the best for people; that’s what being American is about. Coming out to protest, expressing my freedom of speech and my freedom of religion; that’s what America is all about.

Now is the time to define what it means to be a Muslim American, and to own that label instead of letting it be such a negative. It’s something that we can definitely revolutionize and make positive, and I’ve seen that in the last week with the amazing amount of support around the country. I think it has made people more aware of who Muslim Americans are. It has put people in contact with Muslim Americans when they may not have been in contact with them before. And it’s created an allyship that I don't think existed before, which is really, really important.”