HORU April 14, 2017

horuhands2
Photo by Humans of Rutgers and Jeremy Berkowitz |

(2/3) “It was the last day of school. It actually started off as a normal day. I had a presentation for one of my classes and that went very well. I had the opportunity to say bye to my friends in a club I was involved in and at the dorms too. But later in the day, the thought of people leaving for the Summer brought on that feeling of isolation again and I was reflecting on a pretty horrible year. It got to the point where my roommates moved out and I was the only one left, to be picked up the next day. I was alone and this inescapable feeling of despair and helplessness came over me. I tried reaching out to some people, but they weren’t available at the time. And when I realized no one was there, that’s when I took a knife to my wrist. I was in the hospital for a night and was discharged the next day. That whole first week was a blur to me. I put a lot of blame on myself and also asked myself what I did to deserve this. There was a bit of resentment too. If only my friends had been a bit more supportive. But it wasn't something that I talked about a lot, so I also understand why some people didn’t notice.”

Humans of Rutgers

Jeremy Berkowitz