From computer science to engineering: See what majors Rutgers first-year students prefer

In the Rutgers Business School, accounting and finance degrees were among the most popular choices for first-year students. – Photo by Photo by Rutgers.edu | The Daily Targum

As the weather cools down and school falls into its normal cadences, once-high schoolers, who just months ago cracked open college guides in search of their potential majors for the first time, are now members of the University’s Class of 2022 and its many schools of study. 

According to an article in Rutgers Today, the 7,000 first-year students make one of the most diverse and accomplished classes in the history of the University, and approximately 2,800 of them are the first in their family to go to college.

These are the most popular intended majors for the Class of 2022 with corresponding percentages of students enrolled:

Computer Science (10 percent)

Biological Sciences (9 percent)

Pre-med (8 percent)

Accounting and Finance (6 percent)

Electrical and Computer Engineering (4 percent)

Business (4 percent)

Pharmacy (4 percent)

Chemistry and Biochemistry (3 percent)

Psychology (3 percent)

Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (3 percent)

Biomedical Engineering (3 percent)

Computer science, undecided, pre-med, biological sciences and psychology are the most popular majors among the first-years in School of Arts and Sciences. 

Within Mason Gross School of the Arts, the most popular major included visual and fine art, dance,  music and performing.

Pre-med, biological sciences, biochemistry, animal science and pre-vet medicine and research are the most popular majors among the first-years in School of Environmental and Biological Sciences. 

Electrical and computer engineering, mechanical and aerospace engineering, biomedical engineering, civil and environmental engineering and chemical and biochemical engineering are the most popular majors among the first-years in School of Engineering. 

In Rutgers Business School, finance, business and management were among the top choices for first-years. 

In other schools, such as Nursing or Pharmacy, only one major can be selected.

The vice chancellor of Enrollment Management, Courtney McAnuff, said he has noticed the rising prominence of STEM majors over humanities and social sciences during the 12 years he has worked at Rutgers. 

“I think there’s certainly more interest in stem fields over the past few years because many families are looking at outcomes, but there (are) equally strong outcomes in some of the humanities and liberal arts,” he said. “For me, some of the best hires, even in our technical fields, are English majors because their oral and written skills are just critical.”

Rutgers is known for the opportunities it offers students to earn degrees in multiple majors, minors or certificates. The reason is in part because the best hires have to also be well-rounded, McAnuff said. 

When looking for an internship, he said, students who have strengths in multiple fields have certain advantages. 

McAnuff said choosing a career path is “a mixture of (considering) both (financial outcome and passion) and I do think people have to find the path that makes them comfortable … The most important thing you can get out of a college degree is the ability to learn and the ability to think.”