Polar vortex causes yellow water, other utility issues throughout Rutgers

<p>Rutgers has experienced multiple water issues due to the polar vortex last week. The Huntington Street water repairs caused yellow water in Alexander Library.&nbsp;</p>

Rutgers has experienced multiple water issues due to the polar vortex last week. The Huntington Street water repairs caused yellow water in Alexander Library. 

Due to the polar vortex over the last couple of weeks, which produced feel-like temperatures below zero degrees Fahrenheit, Rutgers—New Brunswick has experienced several water-related issues and damages. 

On Jan. 30, yellow water was found to be coming out of a water fountain in Alexander Library. This was due to emergency water excavation and repairs by New Brunswick Water Utility on George Street in the vicinity of Huntington Street, according to a Rutgers utilities email obtained by The Daily Targum. 

Traffic on Huntington Street was closed on Jan. 30 due to the repairs, according to the email.

The water interruption affected Alexander Library and the Library Services building. University spokesperson Neal Buccino said the incident may have affected domestic and fire sprinklers water in Campbell Hall as well. 

Last week the Livingston Dining Commons was experiencing water issues as well. Paper plates and utensils were temporarily needed because the building did not have hot water and dishes could not be cleaned, Buccino said. This issue was correlated with cold weather occurring at the time. 

On Jan. 22, heating coils ruptured and leaked on the Mason Gross School of the Arts side of the Civic Square Building, causing sheetrock and ceiling tiles to be replaced. Buccino said some laptops were also exposed to water and are being assessed for damage. 

Laurie Granieri, director of communications for Mason Gross, said classes in the building were cancelled on Tuesday and Wednesday of that week.