Rutgers professor receives more than $200 K while under sexual harassment investigation

<p>Nabil Adam, the former vice chancellor of Research and Collaborations at Rutgers - Newark who had been accused by one of his former graduate students of sexual assault and harassment, has returned to an office at the Rutgers Business School in New Brunswick.&nbsp;</p>

Nabil Adam, the former vice chancellor of Research and Collaborations at Rutgers - Newark who had been accused by one of his former graduate students of sexual assault and harassment, has returned to an office at the Rutgers Business School in New Brunswick. 

Nabil Adam, the former vice chancellor of Research and Collaborations at Rutgers—Newark who had been accused by one of his former graduate students of sexual assault and harassment, was paid $233,224.47 in University salary for the calendar year 2018, an Open Public Records Request by The Daily Targum revealed. 

“In calendar year 2018, Nabil Adam held the title of distinguished professor and, until May 22, 2018, served as vice chancellor for Research and Collaborations. His expected compensation for 2018 was $302,416.32. The amount that Dr. Adam was paid in calendar year 2018 was $233,224.47. Dr. Adam currently holds the title of distinguished professor and his 2019 salary is $256,449.00,” the University’s response stated. 

The Targum reported earlier this semester that Adam returned to an office at the Rutgers Business School in New Brunswick after serving a period of paid administrative leave, which began on Nov. 28, 2017, when the University began its investigation. 

University President Robert L. Barchi released a message a few weeks ago which said the University-wide Committee on Sexual Harassment Prevention will soon give its recommendations on policy changes. The Targum reported that this was in response to the concerns raised by the coalition “End Assault at Rutgers,” who said, as 1 of 8 total demands, to ensure the accused be placed on unpaid administrative leave until the Office of Employment Equity (OEE) investigation is resolved.

According to Barchi’s message, Rutgers personnel are placed on leave on a case-by-case basis, and the University does not prejudge or place faculty on unpaid administrative leave without validating accusations. 

Adam has been cleared of most accusations and is currently being investigated for allegedly retaliating against his accuser, the Targum reported.