RUSA impartially passes support for 'The Daily Targum' in its referendum

1-rusa-casey-2-18
Photo by Casey Ambrosio |

The resolution passed by Rutgers University Student Affairs to support The Daily Targum for its referendum this year is designed to be impartial, and students are not encouraged to vote a particular way. 

The Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) passed a resolution to support The Daily Targum for its 2019 Referendum.

“It is in the best interest of Rutgers students to exercise their right to vote in this referendum and to be informed of that right ... RUSA supports advertising The Daily Targum Referendum of Spring 2019," according to the resolution.

It also allows the Public Relations Committee to “advertise information provided by the Daily Targum Referendum staff and the Oversight Committee … through RUSA’s social media platforms.”

The resolution is designed to be impartial, and does not encourage students to vote a particular way in the referendum.

Rather, it aims to give the referendum the publicity it needs so that students can be made aware of their right to vote.

Whatever RUSA will advertise must first be approved by the Targum Referendum Oversight Committee, which aims to ensure that publicity by the referendum staff remains impartial.

Jeffrey Kim, a School of Engineering first-year and one of the authors of the resolution, said “This is something that affects every single undergraduate student at Rutgers University, and it’s very pertinent that we can get as much exposure to this as possible."

The Daily Targum fee is a refundable fee of $11.25 per semester that is currently paid by students in the School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, Mason Gross School of the Arts and the School of Engineering due to the results of the 2016 referendum.

The bill is sponsored by the RUSA Public Relations Committee, as well as the Targum Referendum Oversight Committee.

The Daily Targum Referendum is running from April 1 to April 30.

Nicole Wootton-Cane