New HIV prevention drug coming to US markets

<p>Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), or HIV preventative drugs, will not require a prescription in California.&nbsp;</p>

Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), or HIV preventative drugs, will not require a prescription in California. 

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a second drug that aims to prevent HIV/AIDS in men and transgender women, according to a Rutgers press release. 

The new drug, Descovy, enters the pharmaceutical market along with Truvada, the current HIV prevention standard, according to the release. Both drugs are made by the same company, Gilead. 

“Descovy is yet another tool that we have in our arsenal to end HIV transmission — a desire that numerous state, national and global organizations and governments share,” said Perry Halkitis, dean of the Rutgers School of Public Health. 

When the FDA approves a drug for HIV prevention, it becomes known as pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), according to the release. This past week, California signed a bill allowing PrEp to be sold without a prescription, becoming the first state to do so, according to an article from NPR.