Rutgers Athletics announces graduation success rates

<p>Rutgers Athletics has set a school record for its graduation success rate (GSR), according to the NCAA’s annual report that was released on Wednesday for all Division I institutions.</p>

Rutgers Athletics has set a school record for its graduation success rate (GSR), according to the NCAA’s annual report that was released on Wednesday for all Division I institutions.

With an overall GSR of 89, Rutgers Athletics had seven programs with perfect rates and 17 out of 20 programs that earned rates of 80 or above, according to a Rutgers Athletics press release. 

All 20 programs had GSR totals at or above the federal rate with their sport in this year’s report, 11 of 12 women’s teams having rates of 92 or above, according to the release.

Rutgers women’s basketball, field hockey, women’s golf, gymnastics, women’s lacrosse, swimming and diving and tennis all earned a perfect GSR of 100, according to the release.

Gymnastics has earned a perfect GSR in every NCAA report for the last 15 years. Women’s lacrosse, field hockey, women’s basketball, swimming and diving and women’s golf have also all maintained streaks of perfect GSR for the past few years, according to the release. 

Programs such as men’s lacrosse, baseball, softball and wrestling have all earned program-record rates this past year, according to the release. 

The Rutgers Athletics program has earned an overall rate of 85 or above for 10 consecutive years, with 15 out of 20 programs either maintaining their GSR from last year or achieving an increased rate, according to the release.

There was a school record of 276 student athletes, of at least sophomore standing, who earned Academic All-Big Ten honors in 2018 and 2019, according to the release. This included 145 in the spring, 46 in the winter and 85 in the fall.

Rutgers Athletics Director Pat Hobbs said that Rutgers student athletes set records both on and off the field, which reflects a cultural commitment to success as Scarlet Knights, according to the release.

“We are very fortunate to have academic support and coaching staff invested in the personal and professional development of the young men and women we serve. Every day we are proud of our student athletes, and every day we are given even more reason to be so,” Hobbs said, according to the release.