Aggressive coyote tests negative for rabies

<p>The behavior exhibited by the coyote indicated it was either sick or had lost its fear of humans, the University said.</p>

The behavior exhibited by the coyote indicated it was either sick or had lost its fear of humans, the University said.

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) was advised by the New Jersey Department of Health on Friday, Nov. 22 that a coyote believed to be involved in two incidents on Livingston campus has tested negative for rabies, according to a University-wide alert.

RUPD euthanized the coyote on Thursday, Nov. 21 at approximately 12:30 a.m. after officers observed the coyote near Parking Lot 105 on Livingston campus, near the location of the Nov. 18 incident, The Daily Targum previously reported.

While the officers positioned themselves to move the coyote away from the area, the coyote continued to approach an officer and a police vehicle, the Targum reported.

Because coyotes tend to avoid people, this animal displayed unusual behavior, according to the alert. The alert detailed the coyote’s behavior indicated it was most likely sick, and may have lost its fear of humans from being fed by people leaving food out intended for other animals or improperly discarding food outdoors.

The Rutgers University Ecological Preserve was closed after the first incident on Nov. 14 and will remain closed until further notice, according to the alert.