SURIANO: British public ought to reject anti-Semitism of Corbyn

A RINO's View

Did you hear the news? 

It is election season. No, not the New Jersey Legislature election tomorrow — the British general election is now set for Dec. 12. The main question of this election will be Brexit. Now, I have written on Brexit earlier in the year as you, my loyal reader, will well remember. 

Some of my predictions were wrong, because I did not foresee the British judiciary inventing judicial review on the fly. I must admit I can not get enough of the Brexit question in Britain. 

It is a three-and-a-half-year running constitutional crisis. But now Brexit is delayed, and the people will decide its fate in an election. I will take you through the major parties and tell you Americans who you should be rooting for.

The current prime minister and head of government is Boris Johnson. He is a member of the Conservative Party, otherwise known as the Tories. Johnson is a well-known political figure in Britain. 

His rise started as a journalist who was once found out making up a quote, but became prominent writing about the European Union (EU). He was elected to be mayor of London, where he became world-famous at the London Olympics. 

He was a member of parliament when he was a leader in the leave campaign in the run-up to the Brexit Vote. He served as a cabinet minister under Theresa May before becoming prime minister. He is the clear choice for voters who want to get out of the EU, and people who want to keep a radical like Jeremy Corbyn out of office. 

Many in the media have linked Johnson to President Donald J. Trump, but this seems to be only on the basis of their hair. Johnson’s appearance is completely calculated. He messes his hair and paints himself as a quirky Englishman as to avoid being painted as just another Tory aristocrat. 

His policies are moderate compared to United States conservatives, but his policies do not matter: This election is about Brexit. What about his opponents?

His main opponent is Corbyn, the radical Leftist leader of the Labour Party. His reign as leader of Her Majesty’s loyal opposition has been marked with accusations of anti-Semitism against him and the members of the Labour Party. 

Some of the low lights include a BBC documentary showing failure to respond by party leaders, members leaving the party and the most shameful of all — Corbyn himself laying a wreath at a memorial to the Palestinian terrorist who kidnapped and killed Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympics. 

You read that right. He laid a wreath at a memorial to a terrorist! Now, you can be critical of Israel or believe Palestine should be a full state, but once you support terrorists, you are so far off the deep end that you should not be elected dog catcher, let alone prime minister. 

So, if you are at all disgusted by anti-Semitism, you should be rooting for a rout of Corbyn.

The other two parties are the Liberal-Democrats and the Brexit Party, and both could hurt Johnson’s plans for a majority. The Liberal Democrats are against Brexit and are not as far left as the Labour Party, so they could be home to disaffected Tories or Labour voters who hate Corbyn but oppose Brexit. 

This could undercut the Conservative Party and lead to a loss or failure to secure a majority. 

This would put Brexit in limbo, as it has been since the original vote. The other party that could spell doom for Johnson is the nascent Brexit Party, lead by Nigel Farage, who opposes the current Brexit deal. This party may take votes away from the Tories, and by splitting the Brexit Vote could prevent Brexit from happening. 

This seems to be a vanity project by Farage, as it can only hurt the cause of Brexit. If he really cared for his cause and not his own self-promotion, he would let Johnson lead the way to unite Brexit supporters. 

So, what do I think will happen, and what should happen? 

Personally, the best-case scenario is an outright majority for the Tories. This way Britain can move past Brexit and get on with its political life. This ongoing struggle has tested the bounds of the British constitution and left it in worse shape. It is time to move on. 

Even if you do not want Brexit, any person of good conscience should oppose Corbyn, and the best way to do that is hand him a defeat so he will be forced to resign. What will happen? 

I have no idea. The politics of Britain are too mercurial to make any predictions. 

Robert Suriano is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in history. His column, "A RINO's View," runs on alternate Mondays.

______________________________________________________________________

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes    submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print     newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 500 words. Guest    columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 850 words. All  authors   must include their name, phone number, class year and college    affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please    submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered  for   the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do  not   necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or  its   staff.