Power outage on College Avenue results in building closures

<p>The area of the College Avenue campus, known as Voorhees Mall, was the primary location affected by the power outage on Wednesday.</p>

The area of the College Avenue campus, known as Voorhees Mall, was the primary location affected by the power outage on Wednesday.

The College Avenue campus experienced a power outage beginning at 10:45 a.m. yesterday, according to a University-wide email from Deputy Chief of University Police Michael J. Rein. 

The outage affected the Graduate School of Education (GSE), the School of Social Work and its annex, Milledoler Hall, Voorhees Hall and the Zimmerli Art Museum. The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) and University Emergency Services and Facilities responded to the outage and ordered an evacuation, according to the email.

All buildings were closed, resulting in class cancellations. Yamile Rios, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, had two classes scheduled at the Zimmerli Art Museum. Her first class of the day, “Chemistry of Art,” was supposed to take a tour of the museum and she does not know if it will be rescheduled. 

“(The tour) was supposed to be a special one that my (chemistry) professor set up,” Rios said. 

She said her professor waited to see if the power was restored before officially cancelling the class 15 minutes before it was supposed to start. Rios said she was initially unsure whether she would have her next class, “Critical Issues in Art History.”

“I had to wait on campus because my next class was in the Zimmerli at 2:50,” Rios said. 

Although both of Rios’ classes were eventually cancelled, other students, like School of Arts and Sciences sophomore Corinne Rasmussen, said her professor announced a different meeting location.

“It didn’t disrupt my schedule that much, as the class is still on the same campus and at the same time,” she said. “The only thing that it really affected is just which bus stop I’m getting off at.”

Rein sent two subsequent University-wide emails in the evening, updating students on the situation.

“University Facilities has identified the source of the power outage and is actively working to restore power to those buildings which are impacted,” Rein said. 

Rein announced the restoration of the power and the reopening of the buildings at 7:21 p.m. yesterday. 

Editor's Note: A previous version of this article said “The outage affected the Graduate School of Education (GSE), the School of Social Work and its annex, Milledoler Hall, Voorhees Residence Hall and the Zimmerli Art Museum."