RUPD issues alert for aggressive coyote on Livingston campus

<p>The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) told students not to disturb the coyote if it is spotted.&nbsp;</p>

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) told students not to disturb the coyote if it is spotted. 

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) is investigating a report of an aggressive coyote in the area of the Rutgers University Ecological Preserve on Livingston campus on Thursday, Nov. 14, according to a University-wide email alert. 

The incident occurred at approximately 4 a.m., when the victim, who is affiliated with the University, was walking on Avenue E near Hospital Road was bitten by a coyote, according to the alert.

The victim was treated for injuries at a local hospital and was released, according to the alert. RUPD has increased patrols in the area.

The New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife and RUPD are currently working together to further investigate this incident, according to another University-wide email alert. 

The Rutgers University Ecological Preserve will be closed for all individuals until further notice, according to the alert. 

RUPD reminds everyone to avoid contact with stray or wild animals, according to the alert. It also advises that you seek medical treatment immediately if bitten or scratched by a stray or wild animal.

In order to prevent or minimize injury by an animal or other wildlife, RUPD advises to not disturb wildlife, vacate the area if a dangerous animal is nearby and to not turn your back on the animal, according to the alert.