Rutgers, Princeton awards NJ congressman for support of scientific research

<p>Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) has supported research initiatives for a variety of subjects through the Energy and Commerce Committee.</p>

Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) has supported research initiatives for a variety of subjects through the Energy and Commerce Committee.

Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) was awarded The Science Coalition’s Champion of Science Award by Rutgers University, Princeton University and The Science Coalition for his leadership, support and commitment to environmental science and medical research conducted at universities in New Jersey and across the nation, according to an article on Rutgers Today.

Chancellor of Rutgers University–New Brunswick Christopher J. Molloy was joined by Pablo Debenedetti, dean for research at Princeton University, to present Pallone with the award at a conference hosted by Rutgers’ Center for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, according to the article.

“Rep. Pallone’s steadfast commitment to science has been integral to the success of research at Rutgers,” Molloy said, at the conference. “Our University is the number one recipient in New Jersey of funding from NIH (the National Institutes of Health), and Rep. Pallone has been a fierce advocate in ensuring this crucial partnership continues.”

Pallone has advocated for doubling the budget for the NIH throughout his congressional career, according to the article.

He is also the chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, where he has strongly supported many research initiatives to combat the opioid epidemic, increase cancer research for prevention, diagnosis and treatment and encourage the development of new technologies for curing patient populations, according to the article.

“We must redouble our efforts to put facts over political fiction and ensure scientists have the resources they need to continue making discoveries that will make our world a better place,” Pallone said, according to the article.

Debenedetti said that the nation is fortunate to have Pallone as chairman for the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, according to the article.

“We are thrilled to join together today to honor Chairman Pallone as a Champion of Science, a champion who understands the importance of fundamental research to the nation’s health, security and well-being and who has devoted his career to advocating for scientific research,” Debenedetti said, according to the article.