"Adidas X Ivy Park" collection gets mixed review from fans

– Photo by Instagram

Founders Philip Green and Beyoncé, celebrated the launch of their activewear clothing line, "Ivy Park," in the Spring of 2016. Four years later, the musical luminary Beyoncé reintroduced the collection, but this time in conjunction with Adidas, a contemporary manufacturer of athletic apparel and shoes. 

As Beyoncé honed in on her personal brand, the collection adopted the name "Adidas X Ivy Park." It includes a range of cream, off-white, maroon and orange garments, accessories and footwear. 

More specifically, the assortment includes a blend of track suits, cycling shorts, asymmetrical dresses, sweatpants, T-shirts, etc. For this reason, the line may appeal to those whose sense of style coincides with the likes of street style. 

Following its release on Jan. 18, the collection sold out within minutes, leaving fans in anticipation for the next possible restock. While the prospective customers awaited their chance to score these pieces, they may have come across a number of celebrities receiving packages of their own through the technological sphere that is social media. 

Stars Reese Witherspoon, Cardi B, Megan Thee Stallion and others were among the fortunate bunch to be gifted Beyonce’s new line of clothing. Some argue that the collection should not be given free of cost to those who can afford it, but rather to those who aren’t so affluent. But alas, those who come from great wealth remain in a state of privilege. 

Another controversy which emerged from “Adidas X Ivy Park” was its lack of size inclusion. The collection ranges from sizes extra small to extra large, yet doesn’t exceed that. Members and spokespeople of the plus-size community are disappointed in Beyoncé's neglect toward those who may be of a larger size. On the other hand, the irony behind this is that Beyoncé considers her collection to be inclusive since it qualifies as gender neutral. Unfortunately, she fails to realize that the line does not account for all kinds of inclusivity.

Alongside the many other debates from the launch of Beyoncé's collection is yet another: the utilization of sweatshops. For a large majority of us, it is common knowledge that sweatshops in which individuals undergo hazardous working conditions exist. 

In recent years, the presence of sweatshops has resurfaced as a societal issue in need of being addressed. The public was quick to note that the hands at work behind Beyoncé’s collection were in fact those of underpaid men and women based in third-world countries. 

Beyoncé labels "Ivy Park" as a feminist brand, but can those who entertain the practice of fast fashion be considered feminists? In an ideal world, a true feminist would eradicate both the purchase and indulgence of garments produced in factories which host underprivileged workers. 

The controversies surfaced as a result of the release of the “Adidas X Ivy Park” collection pose a question: Is it worth it? Some are obsessive fans of Beyoncé and for this reason may purchase her merchandise. 

In my personal opinion, I would not invest my money in this line since doing so would not exactly help the garment workers' cause, neither would it help those who belong to the plus-size community.