Jonathan Holloway to be named Rutgers' first Black president

<p>Northwestern University Provost Jonathan Holloway’s hire as University president is pending formal approval from the Board of Governors and Board of Trustees.</p>

Northwestern University Provost Jonathan Holloway’s hire as University president is pending formal approval from the Board of Governors and Board of Trustees.

The University is set to name Jonathan Holloway, a provost of Northwestern University, as Rutgers’ newest president on Tuesday, according to an article on NJ Advance Media.

A high-ranking University official said that, pending formal approval by the University’s Board of Governors and Board of Trustees, Holloway will serve as Rutgers’ first Black president, according to NJ Advance Media.

In July, University President Robert L. Barchi announced that he would be stepping down from his position to return as a University professor, according to The Daily Targum. Holloway will replace him following the current academic year.

Rutgers’ presidential search committee chose Holloway due to his understanding of what it takes to thrive in both academics and athletics in the Big Ten Conference, the Rutgers official said, according to NJ Advance Media.

The Board of Governors and the Board of Trustees are set to meet Tuesday to approve Holloway’s position. His salary will be announced after the vote, according to NJ Advance Media.

“I believe the board (members) will be over the moon for him,” the Rutgers official said.

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) also tweeted about the announcement of Holloway’s hire.

“Thrilled that @RutgersU is set to name Jonathan Holloway, Provost of @NorthwesternU, as its President. During our conversations, Dr. Holloway clearly showed he had the vision & experience to put the needs of students first & lead Rutgers to the next level,” Murphy tweeted.

Students and faculty members suggested the University make diversity a priority in the hiring process because Rutgers' leadership should reflect the student body, according to NJ Advance Media.

“We do need somebody who values diversity as much as the rest of us do,” said Mark Angelson, chair of the Board of Governors, early into the search, according to NJ Advance Media. “Diversity is precious to Rutgers, and whoever comes in to do this job is going to need to be sensitive to that.”