Rutgers School of Business–Camden names first female dean

<p>Monica Adya was appointed as the first female dean of the Rutgers University—Camden business school.</p>

Monica Adya was appointed as the first female dean of the Rutgers University—Camden business school.

Rutgers University—Camden Chancellor Phoebe A. Haddon appointed the first female dean of Rutgers School of Business—Camden (RSBC), Dr. Monica Adya. She will officially take over March 30. 

Adya is currently working as chair of the Department of Management at Marquette University College of Business Administration.

“Dr. Adya’s background — as a scholar, as an administrator, as a human being – is truly impressive. Her perspectives as a woman of color undoubtedly will augment the Rutgers (University)—Camden business school experience for all of our students,” Haddon said.

Being that Rutgers is the State University of New Jersey, it is imperative that the institution reflects the rich diversity of the state, Haddon said. Not only does Adya contribute to the diversity of the University as the first female dean of RSBC, but Adya also emerged as the top candidate for the position. 

Haddon served as the impetus for the national search process to find the person best fit to be the dean of RSBC. Haddon said she empowered a search committee comprised of faculty, students, alumni and business leaders. 

“The committee recommended (Adya) as a finalist for the position, and I readily agreed with their assessment upon reviewing her impressive career and meeting with her,” Haddon said. “Dr. Adya has elevated the Marquette business school through her innovative development (of) academic majors and other programs designed to support student success. As a scholar, Dr. Adya’s research in the area of women in the IT sector is widely cited. She has an impressive reputation in higher education and in the business community.”

Beyond her background in academia, Haddon said Adya possesses all of the leadership skills that are crucial for the job. 

“(Adya) is a creative thinker who is able to transform challenges into opportunities. She has a laser-sharp focus on serving our students, she values our research mission and the need to nurture our faculty and she embraces our Rutgers (University)—Camden’s core value of civic engagement. She has the precise temperament to thrive in Rutgers (University)—Camden’s personalized environment,” Haddon said.

Adya said her interest in the position as the dean for RSBC formed because she wanted to continue the positive trajectory the school was already headed in due to the leadership of Dr. Jaishankar Ganesh, professor of marketing and former dean of RSBC, and Interim Dean Dr. Sungsoo Kim.

“I was excited to take the opportunity to continue on this positive trajectory and contribute in ways that would continue to enhance and build RSBC’s regional, national and international reputation,” Adya said.

She said she was also interested in working at Rutgers University—Camden due to projects the school has already implemented, such as Bridging the Gap, which works to provide diverse populations with access to education. 

Adya also said she found that the work culture at RSBC was conducive to the success of students and the advancement of the school. 

At RSBC, she hopes to leverage her understanding of the implications and nuances of being a woman of color in her field. Adya said she has been involved in initiatives dealing with diversity and inclusion for more than a decade in her former position. 

She also said she would like to use her extensive experience to serve as a role model and mentor for those coming from diverse backgrounds and engage with the larger community to raise awareness. 

While Adya will continue to immerse herself in initiatives that deal with diversity and inclusion, she hopes to eventually see the day in which leaders are seen as leaders and independent of the discourse that defines them as female or male leaders.

“If my designation as ‘first female dean’ at RSBC serves as inspiration to other women and men to aspire for their best, I am glad to carry that designation,” Adya said. 

Haddon said Adya’s role at RSBC will benefit both men and women.

“I believe that we all benefit from role models. I am certain that many women — and men — will take inspiration from Dr. Adya’s appointment as dean,” Haddon said.