Here are four makeup products not worth hype

Whether it be from brushes to mascara, some makeup products simply don't live up to the reputation that people may give these products online. 
Photo by FlickrWhether it be from brushes to mascara, some makeup products simply don't live up to the reputation that people may give these products online. 

The magic of Disney World cannot top the feeling of walking into an Ulta Beauty store or Sephora. You’re welcomed by store employees educating you on the most popular products on their shelves. We’ve all experienced taking a recommendation and being disappointed when we realized the product did not live up to the kind of praise it received. 

Here are four of the most overhyped makeup products:

Sol De Janeiro's Brazilian Bum Bum Cream

On Sephora's website, Sol de Janeiro's Brazilian Bum Bum Cream claims to solve dryness, dullness and uneven texture, as well as a loss in firmness and elasticity. Many consumers flocked to the product for its rumors to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. This is a strong claim considering I have not found one product in the market that reduces stretch marks. 

In a YouTube video by Asha Harun, social media influencer, she includes the product in a monthly favorites video. Although she includes the product as a favorite for its warm, decadent scent, she cannot ignore how the product fails her expectations. With ingredients like cupuaçu butter and coconut oil, you would never associate the product with dry skin. Be that it may smell decadent it does not leave the skin with the same supple moisture a whipped shea butter product would.

The Brazillian Bum Bum Cream differentiates itself in the market by claiming to provide moisture that would remedy the loss of firmness and elasticity in the skin. Without the moisture, you’re looking at a product that is only good for its smell for the price of $45. If you’re looking to spend $45 on a body cream that will deliver a warm and spicy smell without the supple skin then Brazillian Bum Bum Cream is the product for you. 

Artis' Oval Makeup Brushes

The tools used when applying makeup are just as important if not more than the products you are using. Artis Oval Makeup Brushes attracted attention due to their unique design compared to the traditional makeup brush.

The tool was designed with densely packed bristles to ensure a more flawless finish. Although created with great intentions, the brush was proved to be impractical. In an article from Makeup Analysis, three different brands of the oval brush are reviewed, Artis included. 

Out of all makeup tools oval brushes are the most difficult to clean. The brush also is not suitable for applying products with a light hand such as blush, eyeshadow or contour. So if you were planning to pack the brush set in hopes to complete your entire face routine, you will be disappointed in its performance. When the consensus came out about how the brushes stood up against the beauty blender or traditional makeup brushes, the oval brush fell short every time. 

Fenty Beauty's Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Famous singer Rihanna created a Fenty Beauty mafia when the product line first launched. 

It felt like a lot of people were cosigning on the quality of Fenty’s products due to the name behind the brand. After the launch of Fenty’s new foundation, Pro Filt’r Soft Hydrating Longwear Foundation, the truth came out about how consumers felt about the original formula. 

In a review video of the Pro Filt’r Soft Hydrating Longwear Foundation, Jackie Aina, social media influencer, admits that Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation was a launch that the beauty community could have lived without. She claims that the product was watery and did not smooth or blur the skin how she liked. As a person with oily skin, she thought the Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation would be a better match, yet that was not the case.

An oily-skinned person dreams of a foundation that can control the amount of oil one produces throughout the day. Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation is said to be like quick-dry cement and not in a good way. 

Too Faced's Better Than Sex Mascara 

The mascara is designed with the curves of a woman's body in mind. The brush is shaped like an hourglass with extra stiff bristles to maximize the performance of the formula. 

The Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara was the first luxury mascara I tried due to its astounding reviews. I have short curly lashes so my main objective in a mascara is to give me length and volume. But, the mascara was drying, and by the end of the day, I was usually welcomed to little black flakes decorating my cheeks. 

Although the name peaks interest, the mascara still has nothing on any Maybelline mascara. For the difference in price, I would not think twice about picking up a Maybelline mascara instead of heading to my local Sephora.