Rutgers gives guidelines for community members who test positive for coronavirus

<p>Students living on campus who test positive for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) should contact Student Health so officials can contact others who may have been exposed to the virus.</p>

Students living on campus who test positive for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) should contact Student Health so officials can contact others who may have been exposed to the virus.

Michele Donald, executive assistant to Senior Vice Chancellor for Clinical Affairs Vicente Gracias, sent a University-wide email yesterday explaining what to do if a member of the Rutgers community tests positive for coronavirus disease (COVID-19). 

“More than 4,000 individuals in New Jersey, including some of our students and staff are confirmed with COVID-19.  Needless to say, even more individuals will be identified with the virus in the coming days and weeks,” Donald said, according to the email.

Employees and students who are staying on campus or in Rutgers facilities and test positive for the virus should contact Occupational Health and Student Health to report their case, she said, according to the email. 

These offices will evaluate the individuals and the risk of exposure to others based on Risk Assessment Guidelines from both the New Jersey Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. These offices will then contact people who may have been in close contact with the individual, Donald said, according to the email. If an individual has not been contacted, they are not viewed as at risk of contracting COVID-19.

Donald said if certain locations need to be cleaned due to a positive COVID-19 report, Institutional Planning and Operations along with Environmental Health and Safety staff will address those areas, according to the email. 

Students or employees with concerns regarding COVID-19 should contact Student Health or Occupational Health, Donald said, according to the email. Those who are concerned they have COVID-19 should seek medical attention through their healthcare provider. Employees who are feeling unwell should contact their supervisor and avoid coming to work until approved by Occupational Health.

Although the University is taking steps to monitor COVID-19, the responsibility of tracking and reporting positive cases lies with local and state health departments. These agencies will provide announcements regarding positive cases, Donald said, according to the email. 

“In these difficult times it is important that the Rutgers community come together to support each other and help stem the tide of this illness,” Donald said, according to the email. “It is imperative that each and every one of us practice effective social distancing as directed by our health agencies.  If you can work from home, please do so.”