Rutgers gives updates on refunds, financial holds due to remote instruction

<p>Student Accounting, Billing and Cashier Services will not use financial holds to block students from registering for classes during remote instruction.</p>

Student Accounting, Billing and Cashier Services will not use financial holds to block students from registering for classes during remote instruction.

Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration and University Treasurer J. Michael Gower sent a University-wide email updating students on refunds and other financial issues due to remote instruction. 

“The 'Stay at Home Order' signed by New Jersey (Gov.) Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) has direct and indirect impacts on Rutgers University. Please be assured that Student Accounting, Billing and Cashier Services (Student ABC) is committed to supporting you as you navigate through the current situation,” Gower said, according to the email. 

Gower said housing, dining and parking refunds will be credited to each eligible student’s account, according to the email. Students will receive prorated refunds for the period of March 23, the first day back from spring break, to May 16, the day which students are required to move out of University housing. 

Additionally, Gower said financial holds that would block students from registering for next semester will not be placed on student accounts with past due balances, according to the email. 

“We sympathize with families and understand the financial hardships that many families are facing during this difficult time, as well as the expectation that students focus on their academic work,” Gower said, according to the email. 

The Daily Targum previously reported all students except international students or those with special arrangements were required to move off campus March 12 due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. On March 17, the University announced it would remain closed for the rest of the semester with students taking online classes from home, the Targum reported.

The email did not address the various other tuition fees which students paid for including the campus fee, the school fees and computer fees. 

The campus fee covers health services, recreation centers, student centers, student events and concerts, campus buses and athletics, according to the Student ABC website. School fees are specific to each Rutgers school and cover various “enhancement programs,” such as special libraries or facilities.  The computer fee helps pay for internet access, email services, instructional technology and computer labs, among other things, according to the website. 

University spokesperson Dory Devlin said the University has not committed to any refunds regarding campus fees, school fees, computer fees or tuition, despite most students not having access to the services which these fees pay for since moving back home.

She said the refunds listed in the email will be issued May 1.