Rutgers women's golf cancels international trip due to coronavirus outbreak

<p>The decision to cancel games should be made individually by each campus with the support of government health agencies, according to the NCAA.</p>

The decision to cancel games should be made individually by each campus with the support of government health agencies, according to the NCAA.


The Rutgers women’s golf team is canceling an upcoming trip to Mexico due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, according to an article from NJ Advance Media

The Daily Targum previously reported the University canceled all Rutgers-sponsored study abroad programs, international spring break programs and Rutgers faculty-sponsored study abroad programs due to the coronavirus. The restrictions will be in effect for the rest of the Spring 2020 semester. 

The women’s golf team was scheduled to visit Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, between March 19 and 21, according to the article. Officials also said athletics staff will not be able to travel internationally. 

The team will still be competing at the Julie Inkster Invitational at San José State University in Fairfax, California next week, according to the article. Both the women’s and men’s basketball teams will also be traveling to Indianapolis for the Big Ten Tournament later this month. 

The Big Ten has not released a statement on the coronavirus outbreak, but the members of the National College Players Association (NCPA) urged the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) to take precautions.

“In the wake of the emerging coronavirus pandemic, the NCAA and its colleges should take precautions to protect college athletes,’’ according to the NCPA, according to the article. “They should also make public which actions will be taken and when. Precautions should include canceling all auxiliary events that put players in contact with crowds such as meet and greets and press events. Athletic programs should also take every possible measure to sanitize buses and airplanes used to transport players.”

The NCAA should consider hosting the upcoming March Madness Tournament without fans present, according to the NCPA, according to the article.

The decision to cancel games should be made by campuses in conjunction with government health agencies, but established an advisory panel to monitor the outbreak, according to the NCAA, according to the article. 

“The NCAA is committed to conducting its championships and events in a safe and responsible manner,” Donald Remy, NCAA chief operating officer, said in a statement, according to the article. “We are planning to conduct our championships as planned, (but), we are evaluating the COVID-19 situation daily and will make decisions accordingly.”


Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Daily Targum.

Support Independent Student Journalism

Your donation helps support independent student journalists of all backgrounds research and cover issues that are important to the entire Rutgers community. All donations are tax deductible.