Rutgers officials give update on health, wellness resources during pandemic

<p>Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Programs and Psychiatric Services have closed its physical offices but are still meeting with students through phone or video calls.&nbsp;</p>

Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Programs and Psychiatric Services have closed its physical offices but are still meeting with students through phone or video calls. 

Melodee Lasky, assistant vice chancellor for Health and Wellness, and Salvador B. Mena, vice chancellor for Student Affairs, sent a University-wide email today updating students on the online health resources provided by Rutgers during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. 

“Especially during these unique times, maintaining our health and wellness is very important,” they said, according to the email. 

They said medical services are still being provided at the Hurtado Health Center on the College Avenue campus, according to the email. The center has a limited number of staff members and operates from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m, Monday through Friday. 

The center is providing most services over the phone or through video calls and is only scheduling in-person visits when deemed necessary, according to the email. Students should call in advance to schedule an appointment, especially if they are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.

Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Programs and Psychiatric Services (CAPS) have closed its physical locations but are offering appointments through phone or video calls. CAPS is offering individual counseling, the “Let’s Talk” program, the ProtoCall phone service for students in crisis and virtual workshops on topics like mindfulness and coping with stress, according to the email. Group sessions will soon be available remotely as well. 

Those scheduling appointments with the Health Center and CAPS must call these services directly, as the Patient Portal is currently suspended, according to the email.

Other organizations aside from CAPS are offering similar services. Health Outreach, Promotion and Education is in the process of developing videos and workshops on emotional wellness, alcohol, drugs and sexual health to be released this month, according to the email. The Rutgers Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology is also providing mental health resources during the COVID-19 crisis.

The Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance closed its physical office but its hotline is still operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Counseling services will also be available by phone, according to the email. 

Recreation centers are also closed on campus and have moved toward offering virtual activities. Various online fitness classes are now being offered online, both on-demand and live, according to the email. Online personal training and Skype calls with the Exercise is Medicine — On Campus coach are available to students.

Rutgers, along with 40 other universities, is also part of the 2020 National Recreation Movement, which provides fitness, eSports and trivia activities for students, according to the email. 

Lasky and Mena said staying at home is important during the COVID-19 crisis, but so is staying healthy, according to the email. 

“We look forward to seeing our campus full of activity once again,” they said, according to the email. “Until then, stay safe and remember to practice social distancing, wear face masks in public, wash your hands frequently and invest in your own self-care.”