NJ hit with 3.1 magnitude earthquake

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) said the earthquake, which lasted approximately 13 seconds at 3.1 magnitude, was the worst New Jersey has seen in nine years.

A 3.1 magnitude earthquake took place in East Freehold, New Jersey, at 2 a.m. yesterday according to a tweet from EMSC.

"We had an earthquake in our state yesterday, the worst one in nine years," Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) said in a press conference today.

The earthquake lasted approximately 13 seconds, U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist Robert Sanders said, according to an article on USA Today.

“We’ve received a high concentration of reports from local residents of a quake being felt out of Freehold,” he said, according to the article. “With it being a magnitude of 3.1, a case of injuries is very unlikely. We might have case(s) of items falling off shelves and possibly landing on someone, but typically we don’t usually see any widespread damage done with a magnitude this low.”

The Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office received approximately 125 calls to 911 within 30 minutes of the earthquake, according to an article on ABC7 News.

While earthquakes are uncommon in the region, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection previously said New Jersey is due for an earthquake of a large magnitude, according to the article.