New York Giants' Barkley suffers torn ACL injury

and 
New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley tore his ACL in his team's game against the Chicago Bears. – Photo by Wikimedia

The New York Giants have not made the playoffs since the 2016-17 season. In an attempt to restore a winning culture, the organization hired a new head coach in Joe Judge. Approximately three weeks into the start of this campaign, the team now looks different for another reason. Star running back Saquon Barkley suffered a season-ending knee injury in his team's game against Chicago.

The Giants ended up losing that game, 17-13. Barkley was carrying the ball early in the second quarter when he was downed near midfield, getting pushed out of bounds. He was on the ground hitting the turf and later exited the game.

Barkley underwent an MRI in Manhattan, where he was diagnosed with a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). 

The injury will rule out the 2018 No. two overall draft pick for the season. Along with Barkley, Giants wide receiver Sterling Shepard is out with a toe injury for at least three weeks. Barkley will undergo surgery in the near future, according to the Giants.

The Giants aren’t the only team that has ruled out notable players due to injuries after week two. San Francisco 49ers defensive end Nick Bosa tore his ACL against the New York Jets.

Barkley is 23 years old and still in his rookie contract. He has more than a year left until he can hit free agency. Barkley said, “Gonna be a hell of story….,” posting a picture of himself being helped off the field on Instagram.

Barkley is receiving support from other players, like Detroit Lions running back Adrian Peterson. Peterson tore his ACL in 2012 and returned in 2013 to win the MVP award.