21 Savage, Metro Boomin electrify listeners on 'Savage Mode II'

Shéyaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, better known by his stage name 21 Savage, is a rapper, songwriter and producer. – Photo by 21savage / Instagram

21 Savage and Metro Boomin released their new album, "Savage Mode II," last week, which debuted at number one on the Rolling Stone Top 200 Albums chart. The album is a follow up to their previous collaboration, "Savage Mode," and features Young Thug, Drake and Morgan Freeman.

"Savage Mode II" is a near-perfect sequel to its predecessor. It emulated the same haunting and eerie sound from "Savage Mode" but stepped it up this time around.

The album begins with narration from Freeman. His voice is omniscient and mysterious, creating the chilling ambiance that is "Savage Mode II." Freeman narrates throughout the album, discussing street code and the difference between “Snitches & Rats.” His features bring a cinematic element to the album that is unusual yet completes the piece.

Metro Boomin, who produced both albums, has outdone himself. He uses Atlanta trap beats and samples that pay homage to previous rap and rhythm and blues (R&B) generations, such as 50 Cent’s “Many Men (Wish Death).”

It’s not the duo’s first time around. Metro Boomin knows exactly how to produce a beat that compliments 21 Savage’s voice and flow. 

21 Savage shows off his versatility on "Savage Mode II" in both rap verses with heavy trap beats, such as “Brand New Draco,” as well as softer R&B ballads, like “RIP Luv.”

Personally, I can appreciate the versatility of 21 Savage and Metro Boomin’s work together, specifically their R&B style releases. I find myself leaning more toward R&B genres than anything these days, especially in quarantine.

21 Savage’s voice is very unique, especially for a soulful R&B piece. His voice is soft and melodic while capturing a swift punch that leaves you wanting more. 21 Savage’s R&B type releases are consistently on my playlists, so I am happy he included a few slower tracks on "Savage Mode II." 

“Said N Done” is one of those R&B tracks that are smooth and irresistible, despite its hard lyrics. The song is about leaving the streets and gang affiliation and pondering what it all means when it's over. Even though the lyrics are harsh and real, 21 Savage’s voice paired with a light and soft beat from Metro Boomin adds a complex juxtaposition to the album.

The album includes verses from Drake, Young Thug and Young Nudy. These artists complement the album’s sound perfectly. Drake’s feature on “Mr. Right Now,” which is one of the most popular songs on the album, is both hard-hitting and melodic. 

In my opinion, the best songs on the album are “Mr. Right Now,” “Rich N**** Shit” and “Slidin.” But, I really do not think there is a single bad song on this album. "Savage Mode II" is both daunting trap music yet uplighting R&B ballads, and it is done incredibly well. 

"Savage Mode II" is different from 21 Savage’s previous albums, his 2018 “i am > i was” and his 2017 “Issa Album,” and shows his growth as an artist.

The album also marked a return to producing for Metro Boomin, who hadn’t released an album since his 2018 work, “NOT ALL HEROES WEAR CAPES.” Metro Boomin has consistently been one of the biggest producers in the industry in the past decade, and this album sealed his title as the best.

21 Savage also makes reference to his 2019 arrest by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency. 21 Savage, whose legal name is Shéyaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, was arrested and detained by ICE, which said he was born in the United Kingdom and, thus, in America illegally. 

Despite the fact that the rapper grew up in Atlanta, he was reportedly staying in the United States without a visa. He was arrested by immigration police when his previous visa expired.