DELFINO: Stuff Yer Face offers extensive menu with great atmosphere

Column: Cameron's Crunch

Stuff Yer Face offers hearty meals at a price that most students can comfortably afford.  – Photo by Stuff Yer Face / Twitter

There are a few places at and around Rutgers that are living legends, and Stuff Yer Face happens to be one of them. Practically every Rutgers student has heard of it, and even my aunt from Long Island suggested it as a place for me to review. With an extended residency on Easton Avenue, I knew I had to see if it lived up to the hype.

Before going to Stuff Yer Face, I knew I had to try a stromboli or, as they call it, a Boli. If you ask around about the restaurant, you will quickly learn that everyone loves it for its Bolis and giant Fishbowl drinks. With 36 variations of Bolis on the menu and 30 different options to stuff your Boli, I was absolutely blown away by the opportunity to have pretty much any Boli I wanted to.

I started with the Ecstasy Fries, which are french fries loaded with cheddar cheese and bacon. Instead of it being a cheese sauce on the fries, it was melted cheddar. This allowed the fries to retain their crunchiness without getting soggy. The cheddar was a great choice, and despite the crumbles of bacon on top, the fries were not too salty. The perfect ratio of fries to cheese to bacon made the plate come together really well.

I had a hard time picking which Boli I wanted since there were so many to choose from. I ended up going simple and choosing the 9-inch Four-Cheese Boli. This came with a medley of Swiss, mozzarella, Romano and cheddar cheeses with tomato sauce wrapped inside the pizza dough-like pocket. I decided to add chicken as well just to bring another component to the Boli.

The Boli was visually appealing, and you could tell from first glance that it was cooked nicely. It had a slight crisp to the outside, without tasting doughy or undercooked at all. There was minimal seepage from the contents inside, which I was happy to see. It is incredibly upsetting when a stromboli is brought to your table and half of the filling is spilled out the sides. Luckily, that was not the case at Stuff Yer Face.

The filling inside was good, and the medley of cheeses worked well together. It felt like the Boli could have been improved had there been a little more seasoning and flavor development throughout. But, there was a great contrast of texture between the dough and the filling inside. It had a great cheese pull, and although it did not look it, it was extremely filling.

Not only is the Boli menu extensive, but the menu as a whole has so many options that you are bound to find something you like there. From burgers and other grill stuff to pizza, salads and even vegan options, I applaud them for having a wide variety and maintaining it during a pandemic.

While I was not blown away by the Boli itself, I can definitely see the appeal of Stuff Yer Face. The atmosphere is great because it gives you the best of both worlds. It has the bar and pub type of vibe, while still offering an extensive menu of good-tasting food.

Plus, it is reasonably priced, so a Boli is not going to break the bank. My Boli was $10, and the fries were $9, but I had half of my Boli to take home. My friends who just got Bolis could not finish theirs either. That is genuinely how filling they are.

Besides a great atmosphere, the service we received at Stuff Yer Face was fantastic. Our server Chitra was extremely helpful and patient with us while balancing a handful of other tables in the dining room. We had a few questions about the menu, and she took the time to explain everything thoroughly and make sure we were steered in the right direction.

After my trip to Stuff Yer Face, I understand how they have made a name for themselves in the Rutgers community and have been so successful since 1977. With a great atmosphere and options for everyone, I plan on going back and giving it another try. Even though I did not really connect with the Boli like I hoped I would, I am sure I will find the right go-to thing for me in the future.

Cameron Delfino is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in journalism and media studies. His column, "Cameron's Crunch," runs on alternate Tuesdays. 

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.