Rutgers announces development of academic master plan for next five years

The University is developing a five-year master plan to further its goals of meeting instructional needs while conducting research programs and public service initiatives. – Photo by Tomwsulcer / Wikimedia.org

The University is developing a plan to guide its academics for the next five years and is seeking input from the Rutgers community, announced Rutgers—New Brunswick Chancellor-Provost Francine Conway yesterday in a University-wide email.

The Rutgers—New Brunswick Academic Master Plan (NB-AMP) will focus on academic excellence and entail a vision statement laying out the University’s academic priorities in the coming years, a plan for improving programs and coordination from academic units and a roadmap for progress in research, inclusive education and public service, according to the email.

“These components will help us answer important questions about Rutgers—New Brunswick’s academic future,” Conway said. “The first two are aligned with our University Mission to provide for New Jersey residents’ instructional needs, while the third aligns with our mission to conduct innovative research and perform public service that benefits the State of New Jersey, its residents and its economy.”

The project has been in its pre-planning stages since July, and it will continue through October, according to the email. After this, an NB-AMP Steering Committee and three subcommittees for the plan's individual components will gather data in November to inform the plan. Faculty, students and staff can expect inquiries such as through surveys and focus groups.

They will then determine the University’s priorities and methods from November to January, and the plan will be executed next spring and summer.

Conway said faculty feedback gathered in Spring 2019 via a partnership between the University and the Harvard Graduate School of Education Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education (COACHE) will play a crucial role in the plan's formation, according to the email. Results and recommendations from the initiative can be viewed on the COACHE website.

More information about the NB-AMP and an option to provide comments can be found on the plan’s webpage.

“The NB-AMP is an exciting opportunity to influence the future of our institution while enhancing its tradition of improving the public good through excellence in education, groundbreaking research and impactful public service,” Conway said. “I thank you in advance for your participation in this important effort.”