Fun Halloween-themed recipes to make for your friends

If you're throwing a Halloween party this weekend, be sure to make some of these sweet treats for your friends –– they're easy, quick to make and low-budget. – Photo by Olivia Thiel

The weather is getting chilly, the sun is setting sooner –– fall is here, and Halloween is just around the corner.

No Halloween party is complete without some fun treats to share with your friends, so here are some easy recipes to add some extra spirit to your Halloween events!

Eyeball Oreo Truffles

This recipe is a spooky take on a classic Oreo truffle recipe by Delish. Decorating these truffles with white chocolate, red candy melts and chocolate chips will make them look like eyeballs for a fun Halloween treat!

Here’s what you’ll need:

• A package of Oreos (14 ounces)

• 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened

• 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract

• 2 cups of white chocolate chips, melted

• Red candy melts, melted

• Chocolate chips

First, add the Oreos to a food processor and crush the cookies into fine crumbs. Next, add all but 2 tablespoons of the crumbs to a bowl and mix with the cream cheese and vanilla extract. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop the Oreo mixture into balls. Place them on the baking sheet, and then place them in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes.

Once the Oreo truffles are frozen, melt the white chocolate and the candy melts. Dip the truffles in the white chocolate and then drizzle with the melted candy melts. Top with a chocolate chip to be the “pupil” for the eyeball. Place the truffles back on the baking sheet. Freeze for another 15 minutes, then enjoy!

Caramel and Candy Popcorn

Popcorn is the classic movie snack, and what better way to celebrate a Halloween movie night than popcorn topped with candy? This salted caramel sauce recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction will help take your popcorn to the next level. You’re never too old for candy, and this snack will guarantee you get to eat plenty of it whether you’re watching a scary movie or just hanging out! 

Here’s what you’ll need:

• A package of microwave popcorn

• 1 cup of granulated sugar

• 6 tablespoons of salted butter, room temperature and cut into 6 pieces

• Half cup of heavy cream, room temperature

• 1 teaspoon of salt (omit if you don’t want a salted caramel)

• Candy of your choice! Some ideas are chocolate chips, M&M’s, mini marshmallows and chopped peanut butter cups

To make the caramel sauce, start by heating the sugar in a medium sauce-pan (not non-stick) over medium heat and stir constantly. Once the sugar is fully melted, stir in the butter until combined, and then cook the mixture for 1 minute without stirring.

Next, very slowly stir in the heavy cream, and once all of it has been added, allow the mixture to boil for one minute without stirring. Finally, remove the caramel from the heat, and if you like salted caramel, add a pinch of salt to the mix.

While the caramel is cooling, pop your popcorn in the microwave according to the package directions. Once the popcorn is ready, portion it out into bowls (or put it in one big bowl) and drizzle the caramel sauce on top. Finally, add your candy. This could be a fun treat to turn into a make-your-own station so you and your friends can create your own custom candy popcorn!

Pumpkin Deviled Eggs

This deviled egg recipe by Country Living puts a fall twist on the classic appetizer. Plus, these deviled eggs are decorated like pumpkins to get you right in the Halloween spirit!

Here’s what you’ll need:

• 12 hard boiled eggs

• 5 tablespoons of canned pure pumpkin

• 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise 

• 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard

• 2 teaspoons of prepared horseradish

• 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika

• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

• 6 small cornichon pickles 

After hard boiling, peel the eggs and cut them in half lengthwise (be sure to scoop out the yellow center). Next, put the egg yolks, pumpkin, mayonnaise, mustard, horseradish and paprika in a food processor and blend for approximately 30 seconds or until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Next, transfer the mixture into a large plastic bag and cut a three-quarter of an inch hole in the corner of the bag. Pipe the filling into the egg whites and smooth. To create the pumpkin lines, create ridges in the yolk mixture with a fork.

Finally, slice the cornichon pickles in half lengthwise and crosswise to create 24 total pieces. Use these pieces to create the pumpkin stems. Cover the deviled eggs with a damp paper towel and then chill for 2 hours. After that, serve and enjoy!

Spooky Sundaes with Strawberry “Blood”

This strawberry sauce recipe from Like Mother, Like Daughter is super easy to make, and it tastes delicious on top of ice cream. Plus, dressing up your ice cream with this strawberry “blood” will make for a fun and simple Halloween dessert!

Here’s what you’ll need:

• A pint of vanilla ice cream (or any flavor you prefer!)

• 1 pound (2 cups) of chopped strawberries

• One-third cup of sugar

• 2 teaspoons of lemon juice

First, add your chopped strawberries, sugar and lemon juice to a medium saucepan. Put the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, until the sauce is thick. Then remove the saucepan from the heat and let the sauce cool to room temperature. Once the sauce is cool, you can scoop your ice cream, drizzle the sauce on top and enjoy!

Halloween Punch

This Halloween punch from One Sweet Appetite is a quick and easy recipe you can whip up for a party or get together. It only takes 5 minutes to make, and yields 30 servings so there will be plenty to share with your friends!

Here’s what you’ll need:

• 8 cups (64 ounces) of grape juice

• 12-ounce can of fruit punch concentrate

• 2 liters of lemon lime soda

• Blackberries and orange slices for garnish (optional)

In a large punch bowl or pitcher, add the grape juice and fruit punch concentrate and stir to combine. Chill the mixture in the fridge, and just before serving, add the lemon lime soda and ice to the pitcher. Serve with garnishes if you’d like.

These treats will sure to be a hit