Don Toliver's strong discography shows that his only competition is himself

Don Toliver's steady rise to stardom comes as no surprise to fans: With each project, Toliver grows as an artist, showing his great potential.  – Photo by Don Toliver / Twitter

Don Toliver exists as the protégé of Travis Scott and a current pioneer of the autotune-crooning genre of rappers. His rapping style blends the sensual melodies of 90s rhythm-and-blues stars like Aaliyah and D’Angelo, while he combines modern trap instrumentation with top-notch production techniques and high-profile collaborations.

Toliver is a blend of multiple different musical influences, but his ear for melodies and atmospheric vocals set him apart from most other rappers. His energy and singing play just as important of an artistic piece as his subject matter, and his atmospheric aura and meteoric career are exciting to watch and take part in.

His 2018 mixtape, “Donny Womack,” serves as his first commercial project and entry into the rap sphere. Here, we see staples of his style slowly start to take form.

In this project, he assumes an alter ego inspired by the singer-songwriter Bobby Womack, and the song's themes develop and cycle through this narrative. The distinct lack of features allowed Toliver to carry this project, and it’s clear this project was cared for and planned extensively.

His otherworldly and atmospheric-centered vibe to his music was in its burgeoning stages during this project, and songs like “Backend” feel like a precursor to his later music. With hindsight, the project feels vanilla compared to what he’d create later, but this lack of refinement gives "Donny Womack" an interesting and futuristic quality.

His singing style on this album is less refined and more raw, but these songs were glimpses of what was to come for his first album.

His 2020 album, “Heaven Or Hell,” was his first commercial project and contained numerous hit singles. It's a much more mature and crafted version of his first project. Songs like “After Party” and “No Idea” went platinum and had enjoyed immense success on TikTok, while fan favorites like “Wasted” and “Company” proved his capacity for deep cuts and keeping his fans satisfied.

These songs refined the energy Toliver was trying to create in “Donny Womack,” but outside production and stellar features pushed these songs over the sphere of most other rap collaborations. It felt much more like his musical identity instead of trying to follow trends, and “Heaven Or Hell” maintains this feeling of authenticity throughout the album.

Features from Travis Scott, Sheck Wes and Quavo and Offset from Migos illustrated his increased star power, and they added atmosphere and energy to his album that he could not have created on his own.

His 2021 album, “Life of a DON,” serves as his best album so far and is a centerpiece of his current artistic mindset. The project takes obvious cues from Travis Scott’s "ASTROWORLD" in his crisp production and energy.

His lyrics forecast his wealth and success, and his confidence is at an all-time high. The features are just as high-profile as “Heaven Or Hell,” but they feel better placed within the project. It continues Toliver's hot streak, and the longer tracklist gives him more space to experiment and try different ideas and musical styles.

In addition to releasing two well-crafted albums that showcase his growth as an artist, Toliver follows Travis Scott’s approach to publicity and conservatism. He only shares on social media what he wants to, in comparison to other rappers who focus on antics and narcissism to generate publicity.

By letting his music speak for itself, he maintains a layer of seriousness and mystery to his art and does not let his actions foreshadow his work. Being signed to Travis Scott’s label, Cactus Jack Records, clearly comes with perks and mentoring, and this sense of refinement also separates Toliver from most other rappers. 

Toliver is only in competition with himself, and his album releases are becoming more and more refined with each project. His collaborations and artistic output transition between genres, and with the backing of Travis Scott’s label, his career shows no signs of stopping.