Annual MARK Leadership Conference to feature more than 20 speakers, aims to inspire students at U.

The goal of the MARK Leadership Conference is to reach as wide of an audience as possible at Rutgers by offering both an in-person and virtual option for students to attend. – Photo by Mark Conference RU / Twitter

The annual MARK Leadership Conference, a day-long event that focuses on motivating student attendees to be leaders, will take place tomorrow at the Livingston Student Center. 

The conference will feature over 20 speakers who will talk to attendees, representing a wide variety of interests and occupations, including law, poetry, comedy, filmmaking and activism, according to the website.

Several students with various positions as captains for planning the conference discussed the foundation of the event and its relevance to the University community.

Paolo Arante, a Rutgers Business School senior, said the idea for the event originated in the 2012-2013 academic year, with the goal to inspire students to take action and to encourage them to think critically on how to leave their marks on the world.

Arante said the 2022 conference will be the first time that the event will be held in a hybrid format, in order to take into consideration all of the potential attendees who may not be able to physically make it to the event or are still cautious about the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. Last year, the conference was held entirely virtual due to the pandemic, he said.

“Attendees will be able to take memorable photos and engage with speakers and energizers in person,” Arante said. “Getting to have an in-person experience again is going to be exhilarating.”

Mustafa Akbari, a Rutgers Business School senior, said he expects the event to be better now that it can take place in-person again.

He said that the transition back to this environment has positively affected the planning process, as being able to coordinate the conference in-person has brought certain benefits, such as a closer team and better communication.  

“While the virtual experience was beneficial, being back in person has never felt more refreshing, and people being present, live and interacting face to face will boost the MARK experience for all those attending,” Akbari said.

Adam Fogarty, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said the speakers for this year’s conference were chosen after the team of captains came together and reviewed various candidates who they thought would be able to inspire and connect with students.

He said that after several months of contacting and scheduling meetings with potential speakers, the team of captains assembled a group of main stage speakers.

“This year's speakers were chosen because of the work they've done in their own lives and the lessons students have to gain from listening to them,” Fogarty said. “The speakers come from various backgrounds and show that no matter where you are or what you do, you're leaving a legacy on the people around you as well as the world.” 

Rachael Carrion, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, said the theme of this year’s conference is centered around journey and growth. Since it is the 10th anniversary of the conference, she said the team is hoping to reach as wide of an audience as possible by offering both the in-person and virtual option for attendees.

“Our biggest hopes are for the participants of the conference to become inspired,” Carrion said. “All of us captains were inspired enough to want to put in months of hard work so that others can have the same life-changing and fun experience that we have had.”