No. 19 Rutgers field hockey hosts No. 23 Ohio State, No. 8 Michigan this weekend

Recent Big Ten Freshman of the Week, freshman back Puck Winter will look to help No. 19 Rutgers field hockey defeat two ranked opponents this weekend. – Photo by Puck Winter / Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers field hockey team will be spending its weekend at home, hosting two ranked Big Ten competitors. The No. 19 Scarlet Knights (5-3, 1-0) will be taking the field alongside Ohio State tomorrow and Michigan on Sunday. 

The No. 23 Buckeyes (3-3, 0-1) will face off against Rutgers to begin the weekend. They are coming into this contest riding a three-game losing streak, most recently facing Wake Forest in a 1-0 loss. 

Hallie Brost leads Ohio State with 3 goals and 6 points. Brost also has all nine of her shots this season on goal, making her the Buckeyes' lead offensive player. Abby Danson will get the nod in the net for Ohio State. Danson has three wins, all being shutouts and a .844 save percentage on the season so far. 

The No. 8 Wolverines (4-3, 0-1) are set to play the Knights in a Sunday matinee, two days after they play No. 3 Maryland. The program is led offensively by Abby Tamer. Tamer has 6 goals and an impressive 14 points in the seven games she's started. Michigan has three goalies available, with a combined 1.43 goals against average and a .615 save percentage. 

Sophomore midfielder Guillermina Causarano, freshman back Puck Winter, junior back Iris Langejans and sophomore midfielder Lucy Bannatyne were all on the NFHCA Collegiate Watch List, making them strong contenders for All-Region and All-American teams. Causarano, Langejans and Bannatyne were all selected as Big Ten Preseason Players to Watch and have continued their run of good play.

To add to the recognition, Winter was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week for her performance in last week's games. The Deventer, Netherlands, native got the nod for both her offensive and defensive efforts last week.

Winter scored a game-saving goal against Michigan State that sent the game to extra time, then made a crucial save in overtime to give her team the chance to take the game. 

Both games will be available to watch on Big Ten Network+. Tomorrow's game will have a 3 p.m. start, and Sunday’s will begin at noon. Rutgers will take on the Buckeyes and the Wolverines at Bauer Field on Livingston campus.

For more updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.