Rutgers men's basketball lands 2023 prospect Jamichael Davis

Rutgers men's basketball team recruit Jamichael Davis looks to make a strong impact on the team next season. – Photo by @23jmike / Twitter

On Monday, the Rutgers men’s basketball team secured the commitment of unrated 2023 guard Jamichael Davis. Davis is the second commitment in the 2023 recruiting class and will join four-star forward Gavin Griffiths on the team next season.

Davis was in attendance for the Scarlet Knights (6-4, 1-1) tough 45-43 loss at home against Seton Hall and committed to Rutgers the following day. The commitment was announced on Instagram and Twitter by Davis.

Davis is currently in his senior year at McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Georgia. Before transferring there, though, Davis played basketball at Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School where he averaged 22 points per game and 13.1 rebounds per game. Davis was unranked on all recruiting platforms at the time of his commitment. He now holds a three-star rating from Rivals.

Despite being an under-the-radar recruit, the Knights and head coach Steve Pikiell are not the only ones who saw Davis’s talent. Prior to committing to Rutgers, Davis fielded offers from Auburn, Wichita State, VCU and more. 

Davis is a guard who plays with electric speed and agility, both on the perimeter and in the paint. This is surprising, considering he only stands at 6-foot–2 and only weighs 160 pounds. 

Davis has a similar playstyle to Denver Nuggets point guard Bones Hyland, as well as the identical height and similar weight. The new commit will likely look to build on his frame and gain more muscle mass before he takes on Big Ten opponents at the University.

Davis can also be compared to Houston Rockets shooting guard Jalen Green, especially due to his ability to drive past defenders with his quick first step and finish acrobatically.

Davis should fit in nicely with the Knights. Pikiell seems to be prioritizing athleticism in the backcourt as current freshman guard Derek Simpson shares a similar burst when the ball is in his hands. The two young guards will be an exciting pair to watch on the Banks.

Davis could open up a potential recruiting pipeline for the future as he currently plays alongside fellow Rutgers recruiting target, class of 2024 five-star forward Airious Bailey

"He has such a high basketball IQ. He’s such a smart player. He sees the floor so well. I mean, he probably sees it better than I do," said Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School's head coach Josh Laney. "He’s very calm. He’s very self-centered. You can’t get him rattled, generally. His mind is always focused on the task at hand."

For more updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.