Rutgers men's basketball lands 3-star 2023 prospect Baye Ndongo

Head coach Steve Pikiell most likely filled out his 2023 recruiting class with the commitment of 3-star forward Baye Ndongo. – Photo by @TiptonEdits / Twitter

The Rutgers men’s basketball team landed 2023 3-star forward Baye Ndongo on Monday. Ndongo is the third commit in the 2023 class, joining four-star forward Gavin Griffiths and guard Jamichael Davis.

Ndongo likely rounds out the 2023 class for the Scarlet Knights (12-5, 4-2) as head coach Steve Pikiell currently has 14 scholarship players for the 2023 season with only 13 scholarship spots available.

Ndongo announced his commitment through his Instagram on Monday in a short video. His decision comes after a recent visit to campus where he saw Rutgers pick up a 90-57 win over Coppin State.

Ndongo is currently in his senior season at Colorado Prep. Prior to playing there, he played for Darrow School in New York. He originally hails from Senegal, where he grew up playing soccer before picking up the sport of basketball around age 14. 

Despite being relatively new to the sport, Ndongo has already competed against some of the world’s best for his age, as he played in the 2021 FIBA U19 World Cup. He represented his home country of Senegal and averaged 7.6 points and six rebounds per game as well as approximately one steal and one block per game on the defensive end. 

Ndongo currently holds a three-star rating from 247Sports, Rivals and On3. Prior to committing to the Knights, he garnered interest from all around the country. 13 other schools offered Ndongo a scholarship. Among these schools were No. 19 Providence, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State and Colorado.

Ndongo stands at 6-foot-10 and weighs 220 pounds. At first glance, he may remind Rutgers fans of junior center Clifford Omoruyi but Ndongo may be a more fluid court mover and plays more of the forward position rather than center. 

Listed as a power forward, Ndongo can also step out on the wing and play some small forward.

“I can play in the post as the four and the three, either or,” said Ndongo. “Whatever you want me to play, I'm there.” 

On the offensive end, Ndongo is an athletic player who plays above the rim, throwing down dunks through contact and grabbing rebounds. He is also developing a jump shot and shows tremendous flashes as a playmaker with his dribbling and passing. His jump shot has already improved from his junior year and he should continue that positive development with the help of the Knights’ coaching staff.

Ndongo already excels on the defensive side of the ball. He is a force in the paint as he is able to successfully leverage his athleticism and length to block shots.

Ndongo would fill a potential need at forward for Rutgers if Omoruyi decides to enter the NBA Draft.

"I am a player," said Ndongo. "I just want to go there [Rutgers], play my game, and help them win championships."

For more updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.