Rutgers men's basketball ready for Super Saturday showdown against Michigan State

The Rutgers men's basketball team will be under the bright lights on Saturday when the team hosts Michigan State at Madison Square Garden.  – Photo by @RutgersMBB / Twitter

The Rutgers men’s basketball team will take on Michigan State at Madison Square Garden for the Big Ten’s Super Saturday contest. The Scarlet Knights (15-7, 7-4) will look to avenge their recent loss to the Spartans (14-8, 6-5).

It has been just over three years since Rutgers last played at Madison Square Garden. On the current roster, only fifth-year senior guard Caleb McConnell and senior guard Paul Mulcahy were on the team for that game back in 2020.

Historically, Michigan State has had a lot of success against the Knights. In Big Ten conference play, the Spartans have won 10 of their 12 games against Rutgers. In recent history though, the Knights have had the upper hand. Rutgers has won 2 of its last 3 games against Michigan State. 

The first time these teams met this season, the Spartans got a convincing 70-57 victory. In that game, Michigan State shot 54.5 percent from beyond the arc and 47.3 percent from the field. A.J. Hoggard led the Spartans with 16 points and seven assists.

The Knights corralled in 18 offensive rebounds, but the effort was not enough as they had a cold shooting night.

Michigan State has played great perimeter defense in conference play. Opponents are only shooting 29.6 percent from three-point range in conference play, the best mark in the Big Ten. The Spartans are also a strong defensive-rebounding team. They are second in the Big Ten averaging 26.9 defensive rebounds per game.

Michigan State is led by Tyson Walker and Hoggard. Walker leads the team averaging 13.9 points per game (PPG). Hoggard averages 12.7 PPG and leads the team, averaging 5.9 assists per game. Malik Hall, who missed the season's first meeting between the two teams, should be available for the Spartans. Hall missed a part of January with an ankle injury but made his return against Iowa on January 26.

Rebounding will once again be a crucial key in the game. In conference play, Rutgers is averaging 11.3 offensive rebounds per game, which is tied for the Big Ten lead. Though the Knights won the rebounding battle in their previous matchup, they were not able to capitalize on the second chances. 

That was in part due to senior guard Cam Spencer. On the season, Spencer is averaging 13.1 PPG on 45.2 percent shooting from the field and 43.9 percent shooting from beyond the arc. In Rutgers' first meeting with Michigan State, Spencer only scored 8 points and shot a lowly 3-14 from the field and 1-8 from three-point range. The Knights will need Spencer to have a better shooting night at Madison Square Garden if they want to win.

Junior center Clifford Omoruyi will have to continue being a force inside the paint. Last time against the Spartans, Omoruyi scored 12 points and corralled in 12 rebounds. 

This game has large consequences for the Big Ten standings as Michigan State sits one game behind Rutgers in the table.

The game will tip off on Saturday at 12 p.m. and will be broadcasted on Fox and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

"Michigan State is one of those teams. (The program has) as good a coach as there is in college basketball, and he's got talented guys," said head coach Steve Pikiell. "We have to obviously play much better than we did before, but when you are unselfish, and you share the basketball, and you are connected on the defensive end, it usually lends to good results."

For more updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.