Audio speaker catches fire during Rutgers men's basketball game

On Sunday, there was a small fire inside a speaker attached to the roof of Jersey Mike's Arena on Livingston campus. – Photo by Rutgers.edu

On Sunday night, during a Rutgers men's basketball game at Jersey Mike's Arena on Livingston campus, a speaker attached to the ceiling ignited and started a small fire, according to a statement from the University.

Megan Schumann, a University spokesperson, said firefighters from the Piscataway Fire Department, along with the Rutgers University Police Department and Rutgers Security officers, responded to the incident.

Chief Communications Officer for Rutgers Athletics, Hasim Phillips, told The Daily Targum that an announcement was made over the public address system once officials noticed the smoke during the game. The announcement informed the public that they had cut electricity to the impacted speaker.

"Athletics staff and emergency personnel assessed the situation and determined that it was safe to resume play, and the game continued as scheduled," Phillips said.

Rutgers Emergency Services is currently leading the investigation into the incident and plans to use its findings to prevent such an incident from happening again, Schumann said.

Generally, Rutgers Public Safety officials coordinate with Rutgers Athletics to have plans in place in the event of an emergency at a sporting venue on campus, and officials are present at all times in case they are needed.

"Rutgers Emergency Services, Rutgers Police and Rutgers Security are on-site at all sports events, including the basketball game at Jersey Mike's Arena on March 5," Schumann said.

Individuals on social media shared their thoughts on the incident on Reddit and Instagram, with a video of the fire posted to the Barstool Rutgers Instagram account gaining more than 1,000 likes.

Despite the fire and smoke, no injuries were reported as a result of the incident.