Hungry at halftime? Try these snacks at Jersey Mike’s Arena

Next time you're at Jersey Mike's Arena on Livingston campus, try these food options. – Photo by ScarletKnights.com

Throughout my time here at Rutgers, one of my favorite activities has been going to the basketball games at Jersey Mike’s Arena on Livingston campus. I remember attending my first Rutgers men’s basketball game just days before the pandemic hit, and the energy in the "trapezoid of terror" was something I had never experienced before.

Fast forward to now, my last year here, and I’ve been to almost every home game this season. It’s been amazing watching this program grow while I’ve been here, and it’s only going to become stronger in the future.

Besides watching basketball itself, one of my favorite things about the stadium is its wide array of food options to snack on. Rutgers has really stepped up its game within the past few years in terms of concessions, introducing the Rutgers Boardwalk this year at football games and, of course, the Rutgers Winter Village for three home basketball games this season.

But what are the best classic concessions you can find at Jersey Mike’s Arena? Here are the top five starters on my roster.

Hot dogs

For me, nothing can beat a traditional stadium hot dog. Something about the combination of the fluffy bun and juicy dog all wrapped up in a warm, aluminum sleeve just hits the spot every time.

In terms of quality, I think the hot dogs sold at concession stands throughout Jersey Mike’s Arena are exceptionally good. Pair it with ketchup, mustard or whatever your condiment of preference is, and you’re set to have a good time. You can never go wrong with a glizzy.

Empanadas

A newer addition to the Rutgers concession crew, empanadas are definitely a close second favorite of mine. I recently tried this snack for the first time earlier this month, and it was so delicious!

While one empanada might not sound like enough, they’re decently sized and definitely satisfying if you’re looking for a smaller snack. I had the beef empanada, and between the golden, flaky dough and flavorful filling, I was in heaven. Even though the empanadas are not necessarily traditional or authentic, I find them to be a great addition to the menu!

Chicken tenders and fries

Another classic, chicken tenders and fries are a tried and true concession you can get from Jersey Mike’s Arena. If you’re overwhelmed by the number of snack options and want something simple that’s crispy, filling and delicious, this is the snack for you.

Chicken tenders and fries are the type of snack I love to get at all stadiums alike, but the ones available at Rutgers sporting events are especially tasty. With good-sized portions of both juicy, crunchy chicken and crispy golden fries, this food option will definitely fulfill your half-time craving.

I personally enjoy eating mine with either honey mustard or ketchup (in that order), but any combination of condiments will be delicious. Oh, and don’t forget the napkins — this one can get a little bit greasy (in the best way).

Jersey Mike’s Subs

Given the recent name change of the arena, this one should be pretty obvious. While they might seem more like product placement than concessions, Jersey Mike’s Subs definitely make a worthwhile contribution to the snack menu at the arena.

From chicken cheesesteaks to veggie sandwiches, the chain offers a well-selected variety of pre-made subs ready for fans to grab and go. Even though I miss the days when the arena was still known as the Rutgers Athletic Center, I happen to be a big Jersey Mike’s Subs fan and think it's great to have the option of having a nice sub at the game.

Dunkin’ and Auntie Anne’s

Need your caffeine fix to get rowdy? What about a cup of pretzel nuggets to scarf down during the media timeout? Jersey’s Mike’s Arena has got you covered with both Dunkin’ and Auntie Anne’s under the same roof in the same cart.

Despite it being a rather limited selection of options from both of the chains, I personally find solace in knowing I could get my favorite Dunkin’ iced coffee after waiting hours in the ticket line to claim a student ticket for the game (thanks Rutgers). Plus, Auntie Anne’s pretzel dogs just hit differently compared to a regular hot dog!

Overall, I think Jersey Mike’s Arena has a lot of great concessions to choose from, with something that everyone can enjoy! These are all just my personal favorites, but I encourage you to check them out for yourself next time you’re at the stadium.

The Rutgers men’s basketball team has its final home game coming up this week at 7:30 p.m. this Sunday.